Amber Waves...not so Amber !

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

I'm just getting into Heucheras and have planted 3 Amber Waves in what I think is a good spot...NE exposure...they are now turning more of a chartreuse color. The new foliage is amber, but it ages to the greenish yellow. Is this normal??? Too much sun??? Not enough ??? HELP !!!

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

JD, lots of variations in the hue of Amber Waves - could be "too much sun" - but I've found that you get a richer color on Amber Waves with a little more sun (early morning sun here ), not sure with CA conditions though. All of the Heucheras go through a transition heading into the winter - some good, some bad - I'd wait until spring and see what happens before making a decision to move them.

Debbie

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Thanks !!! I had all but given up on Heucheras entirely until I read up on them and made this great soil mix for them....this is the first time I've been able to get them to do anything, so I'll give them time like you say.

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Mike,

I know you've told me that you've never had luck with these, so I hope they do well for you now. Could you please share your soil mix with us?

Thanks, Donna

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

My soil is sandy clay, so I added a ton of compost to it. It now holds moisture but does drain well...even after the last rain. I dug up some other ones that were failing and did the same thing...now they're responding. You have all that good compost, Donna....I'd use it for your Heucheras !!! I think the other "key" is MORNING SUN...not our hot afternoon sun, like
rcn said.....

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Thanks Mike, I'll do that. :-))

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

What varieties are you growing that will take quite a bit of sun? I have KEY LIME PIE and it does OK in partial sun.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Purple Palace will take full sun...but not in the summer here.....so I "cheat" and have them in pots buried in the ground, which I can remove and replace elsewhere when the summer sun get's too intense.

Plum Pudding does well in total shade...

I didn't realize until it was too late for it that mealybug LOVE Heucheras.

Live and learn.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Jasper,
I have an Amber Waves that I moved 3 times until I found a spot that it actually likes. Don't be afraid to move them into different lighting conditions. I found that mine like a bit more sun.

Kelly

Saint Charles, IL

If you like Amber Waves, you will love 'Caramel'. I planted 3 of them last summer before I went on vacation. When I came back in the middle of the summer, they looked great. It will get a bit bigger than Amber Waves, but it is very stunning.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Thanks Kevin and all....They are looking more amber now that spring is approaching.
I'll ck. out "Caramel"...I hope it's available here.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

I just checked the PlantFiles for "Caramel". That really is a nice one...nicer than Amber Waves. The photo says it keeps that color combo. all year. It might look good mixed with Amber Waves.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

JasperD, 'Caramel' is a real beauty, a cultivar from the native H. villosa strain which has a somewhat fuzzy leaf texture and is a vigorous grower! There are several new cousins of 'Caramel', 'Bronze Wave' is one with deep bronze foliage that has a shiny leaf - would be an excellent companion and a great contrast for foliage with 'Caramel'.

Debbie

Thumbnail by rcn48
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Wow, Debbie, that's a beauty!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

uh oh...I think I'm going "Heuchera Hunting" this weekend !!!
"...a hunting we will go......."

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Doggone - me, too!! I thought I had as many as I could ever want. NOT. Bronze Wave is a winner and a must have - thanks for sharing! (I think!!)

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

JD and Murmur,
LOL,,,take the credit card with on your venture. They have some beauties.

Kelly

I justify my purchases of Heuchera by telling myself how quickly they are dividable!!! I bought a couple Creme Brulee a year ago last Fall and divided them into close to 20 new plants after one year! Same with Marmalade, Snow Angel, Stormy Seas, and several others I can't think of at the moment. They really are an exciting plant (so all kidding aside, thank you for the info on Bronze Wave!).

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Murmur,
I agree, if you want, you can start dividing them fairly quickly.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

How do you divide yours? Just make a clean cut thru the roots?

They are all little separate plants that can be pulled apart - it's fabulous!!!!!

Hammond, IL(Zone 5a)

ya'll from the windy prairie z5. I started with Palace Purple in l993 and have been adding the colorful babies since then. My most recent addition was 'Jeepers Creepers' -tiarella last summer. I put it with 'Lime Rickey' and hosta 'August moon' in a raised bed S. under a pin oak. I've found that the whole family likes filtered sun in this climate....more sun=more water...or the leaves crisp. I thoroughly enjoy the 'offspring'....such cute babies =^) later

iam, do you have a picture - that sounds like a delightful combination!

And, wow, you've been growing Heucheras for a long time - I think I've only had them for five years or so.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Maybe I'm hallucinating, but my amber waves are becoming amber again....all the new growth is amber and the plants are now double their original size. I think they retain their color better in cooler weather and with less sun.

I am convinced that the only reason I've been able to keep these alive and growing is the mega amount of compost they're planted in...I've noticed that when they come from the nursery, the soil mix is very light and "composty" yet moisture retentive at the same time.

I'm now hooked on these plants, and want more of them!!!!!

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Ah, yes, don't we all,,,lol Those darn addictions get us every time

Hammond, IL(Zone 5a)

yo ...Murmur...I do have lots of photos...none on digital =^( I am a newbie ...not at gardening and I love DGs and having gardening cohorts. I am just getting the hang of this computer/digital stuff...my high tech son and husband are showing me how...when they can...
Went out yesterday...65* and peeked at my heuchera buddies...but I've learned not to untuck them from leaf debris til mid April....our last frost is usually mid April.
I saw new leaves of 'Amber Waves', 'Peach Flambe', Creme Burlee, Lime Ricky, Palace Purple and...the most growth from 'Jeepers Creepers'!!!! YEEHAA
I am hoppin to get up to speed ASAP...patience y'all....

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

iam, Can't wait!

Sandy

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

My Amber Waves got smaller every year and finally didn't come back the 3rd year. I probably shudda moved it. :(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.