Now what do I do - foxglove seedling?

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I obviously planted way too many seeds of this white foxglove with the purple spotted throat. What do I do with them? Do I repot them to wait out the winter in our cool greenhouse?

Thumbnail by woodspirit1
West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

They should have no problem being planted outside. My seedlings have made it through a few frosts unscathed. They might like the greenhouse better, I don't know.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I would half and half..plant half and keep half in the GH just in case..

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Keep them in the greenhouse until spring!!!!!! Then plant them out.................. they may be too small to survive a hard frost

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

You may want to try this method of protection, and you would still have them planted and not have to worry about harding them off in the Spring...
http://www.wintersown.org/wseo1/Transplanting_Tomatoes.html

I wondering about how to pry them apart, which I assume I need to do quickly. How do you get them out and what do you suggest I put them in temporarily for the remainder of the winter?

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I would think if you watered them a waited a little while it would not be too difficult to prick them out and separate them....since they are in potting soil...if you are keeping them in the greenhouse I would most likely put them into trays, like the violets come in...the ones with the individual four inch compartments, then they would have plenty of room to grow..but I am not a greenhouse grower, so someone may be more experienced in what you need to do...they seem to be very healthy..I guess if you wanted to pot them into individual four inch pots that would work as well.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I grow quite a few foxgloves each year and would also recommend repotting them and keeping them in your g-house.

I can't tell by your pic but it looks like they have a decent amount of top-growth (more leaves than just the cotyledons?). If so, water (as suggested above) and put them in 6-packs of good potting soil that drains well.

Let them have some good light and a bit of daytime warmth during the day and encourage good growth for a week to get them over any transplant shock. After that they should be able to handle living in your cool greenhouse for the Winter. What you'll end up with will be well-rooted "plugs".

In April (or there abouts) you can pot them into gallons or you can wait until May (after hard frost/freeze) and plant them directly in your flower beds.

Congrats!
Shoe.

thanks shoe. I transplanted 7 into individual little pots yesterday and they did well, didn't even wilt. That left 2 or 3 of the smaller ones still in the original pot. I don't have any 6 packs or flats so i am scrambling. I will be in Lowe's today and perhaps i can find something there.
What are cotyledons?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Wood, you can use a styro egg carton, yogurt cups, small cans, dixie cups, anything like that. If you hit a real crunch, let me know. I can pop some 6 cell packs in the mail for you. It might be hard to find them this time of year.

Cotyledons are the "seed" leaves. When the seed puts out a root and you see the seed pop out of the dirt (not always) it will split open. The very first two leaves you see are you cotyledons. ;)

ah yes, those are very obvious when beans first open.
Aha! There are a lot of small plastic cups in my husband's pottery studio (for mixing trial samples of glazes), so I will steal some and use them. I can put them on an old cookie sheet.

Louisville, KY

I will be interested in how well these foxglove bloom. My experience is that if you start them in March- May period the plants get huge , but then bloom in August with spikes of 1 or 2 feet. When I have seeded them in July, the plants go into winter of medium size and have 3 feet plus spikes in late May. I have never tried planting them in November/ December. Please keep us posted when they bloom. Good luck on the transplanting ; they are tough little plants.

I will try to remember, but if I don't, please bump this thread.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.