# 1 bloom

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

This is the first of several, I got them as gifts so no tags on these. If anyone knows the name please post.
Viv

Thumbnail by Vizz8
East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

lovely. Reminds me a bit of Double Record.
is yours potted or inground? Indoors or out?

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Could it be "Blossom Peacock"?

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Here is another one..."blossom Peacock"

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

It is very pretty!!!

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

Looks like Blossom Peacock to me. Maybe a little pale. If it opened away from direct light, that's to be expected.

Robert.

Oh we're all here together!

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

I think thats what it is.... Its indoors under grow lights... so that might have an effect on the color... thanks. I have about sixteen new bulbs this year... cant wait for them to bloom.

Thumbnail by Vizz8

Vizz8~

Blossom Peacock is known as being varable in the way it looks regardless of the light, anyway. Sometimes the second scape will look very different from the first.

Last year mine bloomed in summer too, and the blossoms were a lot redder then.

Robert.

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

Two more unk blooms...

Thumbnail by Vizz8
Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

And this one alot like the first one, but with rounded petals...

Thumbnail by Vizz8

The white one looks alot like 'Christmas Gift' because of the frilled edges. Could also be some other one that tends to be frilly, that's just what comes to mind.

The second is soooo familiar, but can't quite place it. This pic of (what they call) 'Apple Blossom' favors yours, but Ab usually doesn't look like this: http://www.americanmeadows.com/Bulb_detail.cfm?itemid=872

Both of yours are pretties.

Robert.

(Zone 1)

I thought it looked like Apple Blossom too! But only because I have one ... mine is not blooming yet, so I can't remember for sure.

Lin

The "old" Apple Blossom didn't usually get color on the beard tepal and had less color overall. Maybe this is a new version.

I have read that bulb producers will "tailor" a hybrid to suit what the public thinks a specific hybrid should look like. Maybe they're listening to people that think AB should have more color? If the AB at American Meadows is actually the real thing (produced by the holder of the propagation rights to AB) than the look may be changing......again. The original was almost totally white with shadings of salmon-red on the edges of the tepals. Ludwig registered the name in 1954 and if they still hold the rights, only they or someone who bought the rights to produce it, would have the legitimate right to sell the bulb by that name...

The first ones I saw in the 1960s had a lot of white, but the blush extended deeper towards the center, but wasn't very dark. I don't recall any veining in the throat, but it could have had some.

I would have to see a good number of plants to know if the picture is true of all of them or just the one that got the "cover shot" or is it was touched up for the stock photo.

Robert.

vizz8~

The bulb your Dec 6 picture reminds me of is 'Trendsetter'. Havn't seen enough examples to say if it really resembles it or not, but it's along that line anyway.

R.

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

Got some more blooms still no named ones... they will be coming soon.

Thumbnail by Vizz8
Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

This is a pretty pink but on the way out now...

Viv

Thumbnail by Vizz8

The pink one with the rounded petals kind of looks like "Vivaldi".
The white one could be "Intokazi".
The red one could be "Red Lion".

This message was edited Dec 29, 2006 12:45 AM

This message was edited Dec 29, 2006 12:46 AM

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

This one is labeled Vera...looks alot like the earlier pink

Viv

Thumbnail by Vizz8
Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

And this one is labled Ferrari

Viv

Thumbnail by Vizz8

I have an Apple Blsm. blooming. It was a Christmas gift.

Thumbnail by

Your second pink one with the rounded petals may be "Vivaldi". :-)

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's a pic of my Vera .... she is sadly on the way out now!

Thumbnail by LAKelley2
Mobile, AL

My Vera looks very different from yours... Aren't you just amazed that the bulb industry is so mixed up? Wholesale daylilies are the same way. Those are the daylilies that you get at the box stores that are 'tissue cultured', but I don't really think it is a tissue culture problem so much as a 'quality' control problem.

It is frustrating to say the least. Anyway, LAKelley2, I like your Vera a LOT!

Here is my Vera...

Thumbnail by HSteacher
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

I've grown over 70 named varieties of Amaryllis bulbs over the years. At least 10% of the bulbs are mislabeled. You would think that the nurseries would wise up: they must get a lot of calls from customers. Last year, I received a mislabeled bulb, called the nursery, and was sent a replacement, which was the same mistake. The nursery had received a mislabeled batch from Holland. Do the customs inspectors switch the labels, just for fun, or is this an international conspiracy to drive us crazy? Thank goodness for the plant files: At least I have some chance of identifying what bloomed. I just learned that last year's "Queen of Hearts" was really "Charisma".

Don't get me started on the topic if mis-identification.........

I sympathize and I am ready to fight, if I only knew how......

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.