Thoughts about gas colic

Brownfield, ME(Zone 4b)

Well it finally happened to me after many years of doing ambulatory as a vet tech treating other people's horses with colic I had my own. Last night when went out to bed check.,Feather the older appy mare didn't stick her head out to get a rub so I went in her stall checked her out depressed ,uncomfortable and had shavings on her so she had been down. Temp and resp normal but heartrate elevated for her . Glad to see manure in her stall and she had gut sounds. Gave her some gas-x and walked her around some .an hour later still uncomfortable walked again and called vet to see if I should give her banamine. He thought it would help so gave her 10cc banamine 1/2 hr later she was back to her old self tooting up a storm. So I was very lucky.
Yesterday it was in the 60's so warm and unusual for us. Today it is rainy ,windy and has dropped 30 degrees I really think this unnatural weather does play a role in animal's health. I am here feeling very thankful the horses are safe and happily eating in their stalls.

This thread has 15 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!