Well the party is over ...

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

For those in the Eastern South Carolina ;-(

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

It is scary isn't it? The warm weather has all the plants pushing new growth which will be too tender to handle the nasy temperatures. I am hoping my little microclimate will not be impacted too badly. Too many tropicals to cover.

Last week I was on Hilton Head where the temp was 37 and it started sleeting; when I got home it was 43 here. I was happy and I hope that pattern holds.

But, now, don't y'all just luv a pawty that leaves one waitin' breathless for next year's invite!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Lol .. yes indeedy! But I was really enjoying having the windows open, going barefoot and wearing t-shirts around the house.

X

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I'm getting something different from WTOC. http://www.wtoc.com/global/weather.asp

Looks like one night at 32 and if your close to the water it won't get that cold.

Wunderground has my low's at 38 - WOo HOo. Hope the forecast holds; no freezes allowed.

Last Monday it was so warm here my grandbabies splashed in a kiddie pool.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Might freeze tonight :~(

Shhhhhhhh, don't even think it.........
where will I put stuff????????

Actually, I thought it was tomorrow night that is supposed to be so cold. We are supposed to be in the 40's tonight.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Well, I know what I'll be doing soon as I get home tomorrow afternoon. Covering, wrapping, draping, lighting, warming,,....praying. :) How 'bout you X? At our house we usually get exactly what Wunderground forecast is - and I'm afraid for us it does look like 26 tomorrow night. Yikes!
Deb

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I'm lucky to have a heated greenhouse. Pretty much everything is in there that needs to be in there. I'm just concerned about my brugmansia and canna that got knocked down a few weeks ago and have all sorts of new growth on them.

X

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

How do you heat that green house? I'm thinking of build a small one and I'm trying to figure out the cheapest way to keep it heated. I'm not looking for 60-70 degrees all winter just enough to keep it reasonable.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I just keep mine at dont freeze temps, around 38 - 40. I use a forced fan oscillating space heater with a portable thermostat. Has worked beautifully for 2 years now.

http://store.kkontrols.com/

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

Thank you for the link.I have been thinking about heating my green house and this looks like a solution.

It's strange,we are almost 100 miles north of you but haven't had a freeze yet this year.I think that I am in a micro climate.Close to the ocean and under trees.Tonight It looks like it will happen.

When I USED to have a freestanding greenhouse (big sigh here) I used a small space heater successfully. It was set at it's lowest setting and this seemed to be plenty for the 14' x14' size. We were living on the Eastern Shore of Maryland at the time and we did see a good bit of snow some winters.

I think we can all relax now; I just spent a few hours getting my hibiscus and plumerias ready to move in if necessary. Usually when I do prepare in advance the weather changes for the better. LOL

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Ardesia, that's so true! :-D I ran around like a crazy person covering plants when I got home from work,...which means I'll get up in the morning and it'll be 40! Unfortunately, wunderground is still saying 23 to 28. :( Some kind of greenhouse setup is starting to look like a real good idea.
Deb

Thermometer is reading 54 and I just put the plummies in the garage. This is killing me but I guess that is better than killing my plant babies. It is the darned full moon; as soon as it wanes we will have moderate temps again.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Had frost this morning. That's why I like camillias, cold doesn't effect them. Wonder if the guy down the street lost his confederate roses? They were huge this year, I'm going to try and grow those next year BTW.

Isn't that strange. You are south of us but just far enough west for the cold to set in It was in the mid 40's here; I was up all night checking. Hope you didn't lost too much.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

It was 29 at my place at 7 this morning. We had very heavy frost - almost looked like snow. However, my little water garden didn't freeze, and all the plants seemed to be - well - still vertical at least! :)

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

Saved again by my trees.
When I went out this morning to check there was no frost and the thermometer read 34.Then I looked up at my neighbors' roofs and they were all frosty.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Well everything bit the dust last night. But it was expected. The greenhouse however is cooking along nicely!

X

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.