winterizing

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7a)

Hello all, my first inquiry here. Many of my neighbors here in Brooklyn wrap up their larger outdoor plants in burlap topped with plastic and tied with twine. Is this necessary/recommended? I have the following container trees in my yard, dwarf maple and young fig tree. What's necessary for the strawberry barrel and other terra cotta herb pots to prevent breakage? Thanks.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Welcome, Brooklyn. Most trees and shrubs don't need wrapping, I don't do anything to mine.
The Fig on the other hand is not normally suited for this far north. I'd ask about that in the "trees & shrubs" forum. I know it can be done but not the particulars.
The terra cotta Strawberry pots are at risk, I can't help you there. Try the Fruit & nut" forums, lol.
Good luck.
Andy P

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks for writing. Is Brockton really 6a? Maybe Brooklyn isn't 7a. You have more snow I think...

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm on the 'cusp' 6a -6b, I should change it to 6. South eastern MA, near Cape Cod.
We get plenty of snow. There are 4 large globe Yews in front of the house that I clean after heavy snow. In Spring I sort of comb the branches back into place. They are fine.
Here they are after only a few inches of snow. One storm left snow a foot over the window sill.
Andy P

This message was edited Nov 30, 2006 7:43 PM

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Welcome brooklyn bird!!
I can't answer your questions either. I avoid plants that need special care. Hopefully, Andy's suggested forums or a late visitor here will help you out.

You still have that tree growing in Brooklyn?;^)

Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Hi, BrooklynBird,

I grew plants and some small trees in containers on my deck in Brooklyn for a long time. I tried a Japanese maple once and it didn't last through the winter. I would wrap it if I were you, and I'd definitely wrap the fig. Most of my casualties were in March when the weather varies so much with mild days alternating with freezing rain or snow. They'd make it through the coldest part of the winter and then die in March.

The only advice I can offer for the terracotta pots is to bring them inside if you can. They will most likely crack if left outside.

Good Luck!

Loretta

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Dave - you're so funny.........looking.

The only trees I have seen wrapped with burlap(that plastic scares me) are; late planted evergreens and rhodies. The figs and japanese would be acceptable, but the wrapping only helps with desication - not temps.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks all for bidding me welcome. Yup, the tree is still growing here (I have an enormous magnolia in my backyard). I hope my Japanese maple makes it in particular, it is a lovely young tree. The fig is from a neighbors cuttings and his has been going for over 15 years. I really don't want to put plastic on them if I can avoid it but I did put a little burlap around the bottom..

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Al, I've never posted a picture of me. Do you have spies?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Dave - this might seem familiar to me ;)~
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/674717/

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Al, Did you notice your name on this week's poll on wheels?

Oops, I guess you did.

This message was edited Dec 7, 2006 5:53 PM

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Brooklyn - if you listen to WOR Radio on Sunday mornings, from 8 to 10, Ralph Snodsmith describes how to wrap a fig. He takes questions from callers. If you go to his site, the Garden Hotline you can get the phone number. Start calling at 7:45 and you may get through. He also offers a growing sheet on wrapping figs - just send a self addressed envelope (STAMPED) to him, at the radio station.

I think it might be 1-800-321-8828

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7a)

Pirl - thanks for the hint. I'm not around on Sunday a.m.s, but I'll send him a SASE to get the info. Will let you know what he says...

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7a)

News on the FIG TREE from R. L. Snodsmith:

"wrapping the fig tree is the most popular method of winter protection". The tree is not cold-hardy below 15 degrees (not a problem so far, that's for sure). He recommends completely mummifying the thing with burlap and topping it off with an upside-down bucket so air can circulate but so that water stays out. Re: plastic "Do not use a single sheet of plastic as it will be like placing the plant in a closed up greenhouse, particularly on a sunny day."

Thanks again Pirl.

Thumbnail by brooklynbird
Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Why is the fig in a "cage"?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I had forgotten to "watch" this thread! Glad it all worked out with the fig tree and dear Ralph.

The reason for wrapping the fig is that we don't have "sunny" Florida weather - although 70 degrees for Brooklyn, today, is as close as we'll get in January!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.