Orange Punch and China Lass pollen question

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

These did not produce any seed for me last year but are producing a few this year.......I have a lot more pollinators around this year so I'm wondering if these have sterile pollen and were pollinated by another source? I've not started to do any of my own pollinating just yet and I understand most seedlings will not be worthy, but I was just wondering. Anyone know?

Lynn

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

ive never goten seed from either of those to but with cannas never say never i got a few seeds this year from my Wyomings they are a old heirloom canna 1906

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

OK, I definitely think I'll be growing these out. A thought crossed my mind that maybe they were crossed with each other LOL what a good cross that would make, giggle, then I realize they can't possibly pollinate each other if both their pollens are sterile! Can't imagine what they could have been pollinated with, I wasn't paying attention to what was blooming together because I wasn't expecting seeds. I had striped beauty, tropicanna, cleopatra, rosemond cole, spitfire, flo vaughn, and several unknows all in that same yard, none of them had given me seeds last year. I do have pollinators like crazy this year, you could walk by my abutilon palmeri with 500 flowers and find a bees butt in every single one!

Could these seeds be flukes? Are all the parts on these 2 canna generally considered sterile? I think I had 3 pots of china lass and only one plant produced seeds. One pot of Orange Punch and I think it was only one plant there producing as well, although it did produce more seeds than the other.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

am not sure az

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Well, you're just not much help at all now are you Paul?

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

He's just good for putting frogs down your back and antlers on your head. LOL.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yep, no help at all lol

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

mmmmmmmmm

Thumbnail by phicks
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I guess he's invasive huh? We've got bullfrogs here in the same boat, bullying around all the natives.

Louisville, KY

Orange puch sets seeds easily once mature. It can easily selfpollinate and is easy to also cross with.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

ya he eats all the native tree frogs and every thing else he can catch

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thanks Brian! Any input on China lass?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.