It's a matter of balance, I hear....

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

The other day the stable owner took a couple of us out on some trails behind the barn ... we were trying to use this beautiful weather to our best advantage. One part of the trail involved crossing a ditch and going up a small but quite steep hill. Hank did fine, but I nearly lost it - one foot out of the stirrups and a lot of muffled screeches as I tried to maintain my seat.

So today, I tried to work on my balance. The only way I know how to do that is ride bareback. Do you know of any other exercises that will keep me balanced? I like bareback but I'm not too comfortable trotting bareback - I can feel his spine flexing under my behind and it feels like a bamboo pole - it's probably just me being neurotic, but I feel like I'm going to hurt him, bouncing up and down like that without a saddle to even out the weight over an area of his back.

Go ahead, tell me I'm neurotic...

This thread has 29 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!