Hawaiian Woodrose

Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

Still blooming, if I did'nt live on the southwest side of a boomerang shaped sandridge, none of this would be
possible, as I'm only 25 miles south of Daytona Beach.

Thumbnail by edric
Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

A closer look

Thumbnail by edric
Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

looks good whats that fruit on the left?

Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

Mineola, Honey Bell Tangelo

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

ok send me about 6dozen lol

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

Oh goodness,thats a beautiful vine.Does it put out seeds??
The tangelo looks yummy!

Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

Yes it makes a conversion to a second bloom, and then dries, seeds are inside.

Thumbnail by edric
Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

Very cool!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Does anyone know where I can buy this vine? i love the flower but cannot seem to find anything but the seeds.

Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

Gotta grow it from seed, like I did.

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8a)

How old is the vine? Does it flower in the 2 or 3 year? I really is a pretty vine. Do you have seed from it? Do you share the seeds? Thank you Elaine

Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

I will have seeds and dried flowers both, if the weather holds out, but you will neec a greenhouse where you live, I have to spray it with fungicide every other day, or the buds and flowers will drop, and it
will never make its conversion to the second bloom, where it will produce seeds. really needs 77 percent humidity constant like in Hawaii.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi Edric,
good picture of the blooms. Are they typically winter bloomers or just bloom and regenerate, bloom again?

We have had cold weather the last 2 weeks. Hit freezing a couple of times. The woodroses though haven't blinked, they are still growing strong! Judging from that large mass of leaves from your picture, I had better start training one of mine towards the fence. One is on an arch, the other is climbing around the green house. Oddly, the jade vine didn't seem to be bothered by the cold either. I expected these two to go first..
Fortuneatly the temperatures are headed for a more desirable and moderate range this next week.

Keep those pictures coming...!
rj

Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

There is really no winter in Hawaii, so its blooming cycle is dependant on no. of daylight hours.

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

The dryed pods would be very nice to use in crafts.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Okay. Hawaii pretty much stays the same with daylight. Kauai was covered with woodroses. My friend who lives there said they had become a nuisance. Have you been to the Botanical Gardens there..I was lagging behind the tour stuffing fallen seeds in my pockets. I probably would never grow tired of that place.

Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

That's what it takes to flower, roughly 12 and 12, just like Cannabis.

Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

And Christmas Cactus too.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Okay - good info. I am surprised that the vines are in a period of very active growth, even with 2 weeks of lows in the 30's.

Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

This plant has been cared for on a daily bases, hand watered every day,
and the loaction of the vine in relation to the sand ridge that I live on the southwest side of, it is five years old next month, spent the first two years next to the woods, then I was forced to move it, I chose under the Live Oak.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Okay, interesting, mine is also under a live oak. I don't know what it is about those leaves, but the elephant ears love the live oak leaves. I notice the water requirement is a bit more than some of the other vines I have. I certainly do look forward to that first glimpse of yellow!

Gloucester, MA

Got any seeds you could trade?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I do.

Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

On e-bay.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

When is it that woodrose usually bloom ? One of the vines has entered a very vigorous growth stage. It's crawling all over the place. Hope it can make it to bloom...

Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

they started bloomtng last week, but have not opened for the firt bloom yet, the second bloom opens in late Jan. early Feb.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Really?
I was up on the ladder today looking for any blooms, but didn't spy any.
Have you taken picts of the buds?

Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

No, but they look the same as last year, I'll try and take some in the morning.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks...I did go back to the top and look at the pictures...

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

aah..just saw your photos in plant files...good bud photos....thanks

Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.