Coastal berries ID please

Olympia, WA

On a trip to the Copalis/Moclips area, my attention went immediately to these red translucent berries. There was not one iota of ancillary vegetation left ...... so I envision a spike of flowers with soft leaves. Any hints or suggestions would be helpful in the identification. I would have gone to the ID forum, but I feel it is a "local" item.

Thumbnail by wannadanc
So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

Beautiful! I'm going to watch this thread too.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I am very tempted to say Deadly Nightshade.

Olympia, WA

growin - your answer reminded me that that was exactly the first thing I said while in the field. THEN I went to a book I had brought along - and the confusion began. I have gone back over the aspects observed, as well as the book by Pojar & Mackinnon, and Internet photos - including those here on Dave's Garden.

We never did find any "vine" structures - all remaining berries were attached to single stalks no more than 12 inches long. The berries were very translucent ..... but I didn't save any for internal examination for carpels and such.

I am stuck somewhere between Actaea rubra - baneberry and Solanum dulcamara - nightshade.

Thumbnail by wannadanc
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I'm tending to agree with you on Actaea rubra as these are terminal custers as opposed to anything else I've found that is close which are leaf axis blooms/berries.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.