New Greenhouse Any Ideas for the end caps?

New Caney, TX

Here are a few Pictures of the new Greenhouse going up.

Concreting poles in.

Thumbnail by TamiXWP
New Caney, TX

Greenhouse Hoops up.

Thumbnail by TamiXWP
New Caney, TX

Last Cross Piece

Thumbnail by TamiXWP
New Caney, TX

Greenhouse with Plastic installed

New Caney, TX

LOL heres the pic

Thumbnail by TamiXWP
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi Tami, I love that size grhouse! I need to build one like that. It has such heighth on it!! There are a few things though that I would have done different, and that I think you might think about, because that plastic might have to come off to get the gables on.

The cross pieces that you have going across the "ceiling" is the first thing that caught my eye-generally, people take metal poles (EMT) and connect into long pieces with connectors and attach one lengthwise down the center of the top on the inside ( cover the connectors with duck tape to protect the plastic while sliding it into place). Then on either side of the center about i/3 of the way from the middle put another length. And one more on either side about 5' up from the ground. That will strengthen it, and will leave the ceiling open for tall plants. You may not have to worry about snow where you are, but it will be able to hold the weight better with the crosspieces up at the top.

The gable ends are generally make with 2x6's or 2x8's that are curved at the top and then you use 2x4's for the uprights and to frame in your windows (for the fan at one end, and the 2 shutters at the other end) and for the door. the plastic usually goes on the gables first, and you can wrap the plastic up and over the curved top and staple to the wide wood ( the 2x8's). You can put plastic on both the inside and the outside of the gables for extra warmth. Then the large piece of plasitic goes on and can overlap at the top and sides of the gables and you can staple to the wood again. A hammer stapler works best for me.
If you decide that you want to keep the crosspieces as is, then you only have to peel back the plastic a few feet to get the gables up. I like to fold the plastic a few times when stapling it.
Hope this helps, and if you need pictures, let me know.

New Caney, TX

I guess I should have mentioned a bit more about where we live and what this greenhouse will be used for.

We are in Texas just North of Houston. No Snow here. We get frost a few times a year but mainly rain. This Greenhouse is mainly for my tall Plumeria to protect them from the frost and rain. I need the height for them until they get so big that they are too heavy to dig up every Winter.

Tami

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh my gosh, We need pictures of these plumerias. They must be beautiful.
Linda

New Caney, TX

Linda,
Most of my bloom pictures I have on Webshots. The trees are dorment now and don't look real good. Before we got them out of the ground they got bit by a freek early freeze. Not a pretty sight. Here is a picture of the smaller ones in the front flower bed afterward.

Tami

This message was edited Dec 4, 2006 8:29 AM

This message was edited Dec 4, 2006 8:29 AM

Thumbnail by TamiXWP

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.