bedding is in :-) & barn questions.

Campobello, SC(Zone 7a)

With BIL here last week, DH and BIL finished off the stalls, got the mats down and we just put the bedding down. The barn smells so nice now and looks so pretty I don't want the horses in it :-)
I pulled the bedding, pine chips, away from the front quarter of each stall as we have their water buckets hooked there and it seemed to me better to pull it back so it's not always wet from them drinking. Should i have done this? or just deal with it? Also, their stalls are open in the front at the bottom so I was also worried they would kick the bedding out. We put 2x6's at the bottom between each stall and on the end two.
Not sure what to do with the area in front of the stalls. Do I cover it with the mats or leave it cement? It seems it would be harder to clean with the mats down. As you can see, they like to hang out in the barn sometimes as they were all there when I went to take the pictures. We have plenty of mats left, but I want to do the area you can't see (barn is L shaped, pictures are of the long part) into a foaling stall for Lady so she has more room and is away from the others, so I would need some of the mats there too.
Now have to get all the cobwebs out and the dutch windows in each stall. That will take a while yet.
Kristen

Thumbnail by DevilDogs
This thread has 39 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!