Question on composting

Plano, TX

I built 3 new raised beds recently and have a few questions for the experienced gardners. First let me tell you what I have done up to this point. I built the beds- 2'x8', 4'x 7' and 20'x 15'. I weedeated all the grass down to dirt and left it for compost, I then lightly tilled the soil. I put down a layer of cardboard to finish killing the grass and to help retain moisture a bring the earthworms up to help in the composting process. Next I put a very shallow layer of used potting soil and then filled them up with shredded leaves that have fallen this year. On top of that I put some composted cow manure. I watered each layer along the way and continue to water when it looks dry on top. My questions is when I put the composted cow manure on top of the leaves it was not a solid layer, should I go back and put a solid layer on the leaves? Should I add nitrogen to help with the decomposing of the leaves? I feel I got a good start on the beds because they will now sit for about 4 months, however, I do want them ready to go in the spring. Any advice or comments or greatly appreciated.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

Sounds just about perfect to me. I dont bother tilling, but that may be a personal preference. Between the grass and the manure you should have plenty of nitrogen.

How dry is it where you are? I usually put a "cap" of some sort on a pile like that to keep in the little bit of moisture that accumulates here, like more leaves and pine needles. Maybe check on it a few times over winter and if it has sunk down too much you could add more stuff (hay, grass, etc.) on top. Some people collect coffee grounds from starbucks-- you could try that too.

Plano, TX

Thanks for the reply. I also use coffee grounds on the piles and today found a feed store that sells straight nitrogen 46-0-0 to add to the pile periodically to help with decomposing. Pure nitrogen is hard to get since 9-11. Do you think I need a solid cover of composted manure over the leaves or just the small amount I have already put on it? For example I put 2 bags on top of the leaves in a 4'x7' bed.

Peoria, IL

Generally I like to put at least 2 or 3 inches of cover material, usually shredded leaves , sometimes wood chips. The thick layer on top will help hold moisture underneath.

Plano, TX

I have put about 6" of leaves on and then put the composted manure on top of that. However, I did not put a solid layer of manure and I am wondering if I need to or will that just take away from air circulation and create a need to turn the pile?

Greensboro, AL

JFREDT: I like your soil recipe.

I am doing the same thing, grass, cardboard (a byproduct of my shopping sprees on line), left over potting soil (from roses that didn't make the heat last summer), wood chips, and rabbit manure manufactured by Henry, my New Zealand male rabbit. The rabbit manure has a lot of left over food added --alfalfa pellets (He never eats the whole dish, before he gives it a sling), and lots of timothy hay. I don't drink coffee, but I am addicted to green tea. My question is: will the green tea bags work, or do I need to add lime or something to balance the chemistry?

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

after the tea is brewed, the tealeaves are probably close to neutral. I would worry more about the staples in the teabags myself.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

what kind of metal do they make staples of? If it's iron, they'll be a boon!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.