Best Iris for zone 8?

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

If someone has already asked this, please forgive, but I didn't see it when I searched.
I'm in z8 where we have hot humid summers and short mild winters. I've had bad luck with any Iris other than Louisiana's or Virginica Shreveii. Others will make absolutely gorgeous foliage, but only bloom once or not at all.
Has anyone in my zone had luck with and bearded or other variety? If so, please do share!!
TiA.
Deb

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

There are probably few iris you can not grow if the right conditions prevail.
Raised beds made with sand, pea gravel, compost with native soil should allow you to grow most bearded with the exception of dwarfs which require the cold dormancy of winter.
:)
A

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Avmoran: Thanks, I was thinking the lack of cold dormancy was the problem, but it could be my lousy clay soil! I shall persevere!

Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

I had lousy sandy soil when I started my iris years ago and I have continued to amend the soil each year. I have the same hot and humid summers that you do and am at the top edge of the same zone 8. I have some unnamed varieties that were here when I came or that I purchased in lots, and now some named ones that I have traded for here on DG. I get a lot of blooms each year and they all seem healthy. Be careful not to overwater and don't completely cover the rhizomes with either soil or mulch. Remember also that iris can take two or three years to bloom from new starts. I'm not an expert, but I read what the experts say they do. You are probably headed in the right direction so just persevere as you said.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the encouragement. I was just out "amending" the soil this morning!

You are welcome. We need all the encouragement we can get sometimes. I love iris and feel they are worth hanging in there for. I share a home with one of my daughters and her family. Her husband absolutely loves the iris, and he is one of those who never used to say much about the gardens. That makes them even more important for me to keep going. We just never know who else might like what we are doing.

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

I agree with what gardengram said about Irises.I have the same growing conditions as both of you.Don't forget the Siberians.They are the easiest for me.

I forgot about the Siberians. I just started my first ones early this summer and then spent most of the rest of the summer in the hospital, and all they had was irregular watering/rain, so they've not been looking too good. Guess I need to take my own advice about hanging in there, huh?

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks Surfside! ( I used to live there a verrryy long time ago. :> )
Siberians. Got ot. You guys have really given me hope. I love Iris but was getting discouraged.
Deb

Oh, no, never get discouraged. Just hang in there, move things around if you need to, ask for advice here on DG--but never get discouraged. It's against the rules.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.