Looking for ideas where to get veggie seeds?

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

I want to plant a small garden this coming year..here is some stuff I'd like..
tomatoes,lettuce,onions,red and green peppers,potatoes(red and yoken),cukes,corn,sugar snap peas.
Where do you suggest I look.

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Opps forgot my fruits..
raspberry,strawberries

Louisville, KY

Try www.stokeseeds.com I love the catalog and they are online too. Gurney's is a good one too. www.gurneys.com

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

As long as you want general veggies, There are dozens, both catalog and on line, not to mention local garden centers, feed and seeds. Etc. For online shoppers, check out the Garden Watchdog and go with with or two of the best rated companies.

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

I really like www.Sandhillpreservation.com. They don't sell strawberrys or potatoes anymore, but you can find these items (using the "search" feature) on Watchdog like Farmerdill suggested to you. Before using Gurneys, you may want to check them out on Watchdog to see if you feel comfortable ordering from them.

One great thing I forgot to mention, at Sandhill, they have reasonable pricing and they usually always give you waaaaaaaaaaaaay more seeds than 20-30 which is the average amount in seed packs from other companies in my limited experience. Since they are a small family run business, they don't process orders immediately, but they will get your seeds out well before you need to start them. I had 100% germination from my last year's pepper/tomato and eggplant order. If you decide to check them out, please keep in mind that their 2007 catalog doesn't ship until the first week of December, so you might want to order your catalog now to be included in their first mailing.

Best of luck getting your seeds and hope to hear more about your garden in 07!!!

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I second foreverden's choice of Stokes Seeds. I had great success with their Ultrasonic VFT tomatoes. They are firm, have a great flavor, excellent color and store very well. We had them on our turkey sandwiches today over a month after they were picked. Every vegetable seed I purchased from Stokes did very well.

Avoid big box retailers. Last year I made the mistake of purchasing an additional packet of carrots from Wal-Mart. The difference between my Stokes seeds (Sugarsnax 54) and the Wal-Mart variety (who-knows-what) was like night and day. The stokes variety produced excellent-tasting carrots that had a deep orange flesh and grew at least twice the size of the Wal-Mart variety. The Wal-Mart carrots were pale, small, had problems with powdery mildew, and were quite tastless. We could barely eat them. I also bought a packet of Wal-Mart cherry tomatoes. Almost every tomato cracked and the plants looked sick all summer long. My Wal-Mart summer squash produced an array of un-uniform fruit with many of them deformed. They also had a very bad problem with powdery Mildew. My Stokes variety was twice as productive (almost too productive) with none of the disease problems.

I've resolved to only purchase from reputable seed catalogs this year.

New Braunfels, TX(Zone 8b)

I like Seeds of Change ( www.seedsofchange.com ) and - if you like to grow asian vegetables www.evergreenseeds.com . Both of these companies I've ordered from many times - always good service.

This message was edited Nov 27, 2006 6:44 PM

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

che k out baker creek heirloom seeds at www.rareseeds.com
they have the most amazing variety of veggies. for instance, they have 30 different types of lettuce. they also have melons from asia, europe and the u.s. i have ordered from them many times and have never been disappointed.

totally tomatoes is another great sourcer for seeds. www.totallytomato.com

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Herbie, thanks for that link! They're new to me, and they have THIRTY-TWO kinds of eggplant! Wowie wow.

I purchased seeds from http://www.growitalian.com this year. Their online catalog is amazing and I LOVE the descriptions. Seeds are from Italy and come in the most beautiful large packages and have plenty of seed inside.

I also ordered from agrohaiti which also carries asian vegetable varieties.

GGG

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

GGG, I liked that link to grow italian.com and I think I'd like to order from them, but I don't see their name in Watchdog?? Do they go by something else?

Never mind, found it under Seeds from Italy. Going to shop there now, thanks!

This message was edited Dec 1, 2006 3:25 PM

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

For those of you, who want to try European veggie cultivars, Harvest Moon http://www.felcopruners.net/ is very good. Be aware that the packets are printed in their native languages. So don't count on planting instructions from the packets unless you read Italian, French, Dutch, German etc. http://www.englishgardenemporium.com/vegetablesC.html specializes in English (UK) seed (Suttons) They offer a little more variety in cool weather veggies than Harvest Moon.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Garden4Birds,
The peppers, onions, and tomatoes would need to be started early from seed or purchased at planting time.
I used to order most things from Burpee's...and they do sell only good varieties, but are a bit pricey these days?
As for onion plants. ...I have ordered through the mail, but since I only want 150 plants, I can get them much more cheaply at my neighborhood garden center in April. They carry Candy, Superstar, Texas 1015Y, and maybe another one. Again, I don't need the longkeepers like Copra.

Strawberries and raspberries in small quantities could be ordered from Jungs near you.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

I haven't tried them yet, but Milk Ranch offers just about every kind of seed potato there is, including organic varieties. I got last season's potatoes from Gurney's, and they did quite well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.