Need help selecting site for Japanese Maples!

Parkersburg, WV(Zone 6b)

Hi everyone. My DH came home from a business trip with past week with two little Japanese Maples, "Bloodgood" culitivars. I had picked out the best spot for planting them and began digging the first hole when--yes, I ran into this....

My investigations have led me to conclude it is an intact, 100 year old terracotta drain pipe (the sections which I've uncovered and you can see in the picture are about 4 feet long and were about one foot below surface). Further research (with a level) has led me to believe the drainage pipe is coming from the neighbor's downspout since the pipe runs uphill slightly towards their house.

Obviously I'm NOT going to plant a tree right on top of a drain pipe (even though it appears to be coming from the neighboring house and IS in our yard). My question is, how far away from that pipe am I going to have to site my tree in order to keep the tree roots from invading the neighbor's drain pipe someday?

Thumbnail by kevanrijn
Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Most jm's even BG's like morn sun and afternnon shade or dappled sun... they also like well drained areas and do best in areas where they don't get too much wind ...with that in mind I would plant it where these "happy" areas are reguardless of your neighbors pipe...Obviously you shouldn't site it above the pipe for it's ( your tree's) own sake but who the heck cares about your neighbors evading pipe anyway!! I would just keep it a bit away period the pipe is not your problem...but it is noteworthy that Jm roots seldom do any damage to "stuff" they are near..although the roots near the tree can get large most of the lateral roots are not humongous at least not for many years. It's your yard and your trees plant them where they will do best and look the nicest!!! David

Parkersburg, WV(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the reply...when I said I had picked out the best spot for planting the JM, I had picked that spot based on the sun/shade/wind/drainage, etc., considerations. Unfortunately that perfect, happy spot has that drain pipe right there....

Regarding the neighbor's drain pipe...our houses are 100 year old Victorians on small city lots. I haven't measured to be exact, but I believe there is only about 30 feet (max, it may well be less) open space from the side of his house to the side of mine. If I plant the tree where it can damage the drain pipe, I may very well suffer myself, as the location of that hole (with the drain pipe in it) is about halfway between our houses. So if my JM damages his drain pipe, I could very well end up suffering from a wet basement myself--besides getting the neighbor PO'ed. If the drain pipe breaks, he won't have damage to his basement, since he only has a crawl space (not a full basement) under his house. But the additional moisture in the soil could well lead to an increased risk of termite infestation (something to really worry about in our area) for both of us.

Therefore, any considerations about karma and doing unto others as you would be done by aside, it would not be a good idea for me to plant the JM where it could potentially harm the drain pipe. How far away from the pipe do I need to plant my JM in order NOT to have to worry about its roots damaging the drain pipe?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

My guess is that after all of these years this French drain isn't working anyway. Are you sure that it's functioning? If you are on a hill and don't want your neighbor's water under your house then you probably want to avoid the drain.

Bloodgood can be a decent sized tree over time. If you really want to protect the drain I'd plant it at least 6 feet away.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

I agree with Doss 6+ feet... but the drain pipe, if that's what it is, is SO shallow I really don't think you have much to worry about anyway. Jm roots are relatively shallow in general, especially lateral ones, but not THAT shallow ( as the picture seems to show !!). I would also concur that it most likely is not funtioning and may not even be hooked up...but at any rate 6+ ft. would most likely do the trick if you are worried about it...as I said I don't think JM roots would harm it even if they did come in contact except if you planted on top of the pipe which you have stated is not your plan anyway. David

This message was edited Nov 22, 2006 11:51 PM

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Perhaps a discussion with the neighbor and/or probing to the inlet of the pipe (as shallow as it appears) would solve the question of whether the pipe is in fact still functional and worthy of consideration in the placement of the trees. Just a thought.

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

Probing with a steel rod of some type seems a good idea to see where it goes. Ask a plumber in the area what that sort of pipe was used for...maybe storm drainage, or maybe old sewer pipe that has since been replaced. I would ask someone who knows your neighborhood.

More information would seem useful in your decision-making.

Laura

Parkersburg, WV(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the input everyone. I will plant it at least six feet from the pipe as the pipe appears to be a functional drain of some kind. I know it's not our sewer lateral pipe--I know just where it's located and besides, it's buried about 6 feet deep. The pipe I uncovered is only about 12 inches below ground level. It would appear to be a storm drain pipe for the rain gutters and downspouts, most likely. I may probe further later. But first, I've got to get the JM planted!

Thanks everyone!

Looking forward to pictures when you get it planted!

Laura

Parkersburg, WV(Zone 6b)

Thanks Laura...it's only a baby JM though and no leaves or anything right now, so mostly it just looks like a skinny stick with a lot of little twigs on it!

I have one of those too! My bloodgood is only about 18" tall and is mostly a "branch". Besides if you take a picture or two now for us, you'll be amazed to look back in a year or two and see how it has grown! : -)

Laura

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.