Will this bloom ?

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

This is a Schreiner's bulb that I planted three months ago. It's already got a bloom on it but the leaves around it are turning brow. Is there any hope in the bloom opening or do they all do this ?

Thumbnail by betterbloom
Peachland B.C., BC(Zone 5a)

I had one open after I very carefully removed the brown outer leaves

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

oltmanns: I took a few of the brown leaves off today but don't know if I got enought of them. How long after did yours bloom ?

It took a few days. Your blooms look quite plump, so should open.

Lynn

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

It still seems to be growing taller and I noticed another bloom on it today. I only took a few of the leaves off so I'll wait and see what happens. I just got done looking a other pictures and noticed some others ones looked like mine so maybe some do this ? I just started growing irises about three months ago so I really don't know what to expect. I know they're planted correctly and are getting plenty of sun so that can't be a problem. Our temps have been running in the 80's so maybe it's confused.

Sending you a picture of mine, sorry its so dark. I had to pick mine and bring it inside,as the frost had already touched it.
Welcome to growing iris, I got hooked about 4 years ago and keep expanding my iris beds to accommodate what I call my habit. I order around a dozen every year.

Lynn

Thumbnail by oltmanns
Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Yes they are addictive, I started in with 44 that I just ordered about 3 months ago, and already planning to get at least 20 more early next year. I'm also trying to grow callas even tho I have no idea where I'll put them. Your picture was kinda dark, which iris is that and is that the one you helped bloom ?

Yes that is the one I helped open. It is Touch of Heaven from Riverview

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

I wish it wasn' so dark, it still looks pretty. I'll let you know what happens in a few days with mine. Thanks for the help.

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

It still hasn't opened but is still growing and showing more color...it's going to be purple & ?. Maybe I'll get a bloom for Christmas ? We had a few nights of freezing so I've been covering it every night with a bucket.

Thumbnail by betterbloom
Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

Oh how nice to have an iris bloom for Christmas.
Good idea with the bucket.
Shirley

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I have some iris blooming now so wouldn't be surprised if yours opened. Right now it's "Harvest of Memories" and "Clear Stream".

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Isn't this just so exciting to have Irisis in December?Mine is almost ready to open, finally, and have been getting a little bit of help from an impatient bee. We've had a couple of nights where it dropped to a freeze, and I know I read that it will abort the bloom, so I was really worried. Are yours re-bloomers? I don't even know which one this is so that is adding more to the antisipation of this.

Thumbnail by betterbloom
Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Finally..and now after all the hard work, where is the nectar ?

Thumbnail by betterbloom

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.