2007 Seed Catalogs

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hi all from Lincoln, NE!

Well, it's started. Yesterday I picked up the mail, and tucked in among the bills was the first spring seed catalog for 2007, from Pinetree. It was hard not to stop my Thanksgiving recipe searching and just browse in among the pages... okay, so I browsed a *little*...

Richard

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

LOL. I know what you mean. I work at a botanical garden and we get seed catalogs in all the time and I just pour over them every chance I get to make sure there is nothing in there I need. Plenty that I want though. But no place to put them.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Pinetree and Miller Nursery!

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

Johny"s sellect is in

I used to get them all the time at home but for some reason they quit sending me them. Right now am waiting on David Austin's Rose Catalog. Hope it gets here soon!!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Cool thread! I'll get the jump on what is coming. As of today, I haven't gotten any more.
:((

Benton, KS(Zone 6a)

Anyone know who has the best veggie seeds/selections?

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

for heirlooms Bakers creek www.rareseeds.com

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I've got my wish lists started! I now have:

Miller Nurseries
PineTree Garden Seeds
Vermont Bean Seed Co.
High Country Gardens
Totally Tomatoes
McClure & Zimmerman
Seymour's Selected Seeds
Thompson and Morgan

Columbus, GA(Zone 5b)

To add to the list Select Seeds andHigh COuntry Gardens, but they are always sending catalgoues out. Unforunatly not being allowed to plant yet is driving me batty, so already started on plants that need to be cold strafied in November, I only wished I had planted a second sugar snap pea crop. With the mild temps. it would have been perfect for the little guys

Thumbnail by kidncatsndogs

I ordered a David Austin Rose over 3 months ago and still haven't recieved it. Will have to try again. Especially since it showed the order going thru.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I've sent orders to:

Vermont Bean
Charley's Greenhouse
Totally Tomatoes
Burpee
High Country
Jung

Still need from:

Bluestone
Bussee
Wayside
Thompson

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I must have over 20 of them. I've got 2 2007 T&M's now. Most likely will order from them, Burpee and one of the Jung's co's. Wayside's been her a few weeks, many other companies I've never heard of.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I haven't gotten Parks or Dutch Bulbs yet. I need them to compare the rest of my wish lists to. I set a lot aside that I never order from, such as Michigan Bulb.

I got a Burgess catalouge today.

My wish list: Spring Hill
David Austin Roses
Wayside
and whatever else decides to come on their own.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I like Spring Hill, but I have almost everything they sell.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Pepper, it probably isn't the right season for shipping and planting roses. They will send after our last frost date in the spring. That is somewhere in late March to mid May. I think May 10 is the official date for our last frost in central MO.

I have a few catalogs but usually just buy locally or dig thru the compost and giveaway piles at PG. I also get plants from the spring plant sale there. That is where Pepper and I met last May. I told her about DG and she went home and signed up that night.

I'm looking forward to spring too. So much I want and NEED to get done in the yarden. I have several Bowl of Beauty look alikes to get moved or given away. My supervisor at PG wants some of them so I will dig them as soon as possible for her. They will be like digging trees because they were really large when I got them about 12 years ago. The drought was really hard on them last summer. I didn't get them watered as much as I should have.

I also need to move totally rotted leaf material to raised beds, put some rabbit manure on them, etc. I need to really work on the 2 beds lining the west and south of the bird yard. That is where I attempt to raise asparagus pole beans and some tomatoes. I think one or 2 plants will be enough for me this year. Of course I will probably have dozens of volunteer cherry tomatoes since I let a lot of them drop to the ground. Little Skyler likes to come up and pick and eat them off the plants. I have dozens of pints of canned tomatoes to get used so I don't need to plant any for canning. Maybe some Roma to dehydrate. I really like the conveniece of dry tomato powder.

So we all dream of the seasons to come. GOD bless and keep each of you.

I can attest to the Bowl of Beauty being like trees. Dug some up at her place last summer and it was like digging up a 3 yr old tree by hand. And that was with 2-3 of us digging and watering it to make it easier.

I used to get catalogs all the time in the mail but these last few years they have pretty much quit sending me some. I ordered some prennial sweet pea from one 2 yrs ago and we also got some pink honeysuckle and purple plum leaf hedge. The last one we ordered like 4 times and they were either dead when we got them or died after being planted. My sweet pea is thriving and so is the honeysuckle. The honeysuckle is a replacement for the Roses of Sharons lining the yard along the road. There is too much shade there and we lose a Sharon or 2 a year. I also get free plants from PG and whatever I can't use I give to my grandma to find a place for.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I walked down to get the mail today and found a Paradise Garden catalog out of Corryton, TN. Never heard of them before. Prices are quite high in my opinon.

I just checked out their website. They ship bigger plants in bigger containers. Black Rasberry is shipped in a 1 gallon container. I think that's why their prices are higher. Bigger plants in bigger containers. That's just one of the plants that I checked out.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I've noticed that prices and shipping have all gotten a bit higher. Jung is the only one so far to still offer $5 perennials, and the plants they ship will be very small. I had to gulp and order a couple of times because I needed a particular plant for shade. And it was just Astilbes.

I bought those at work this past fall. I hope they make it. Supposed to be red. If they survive and look good too I am gonna get more.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I have a long shaded bed that has practically died out when I wasn't looking. It's hard to find shade lovers for walnut trees. I went for the pinks and lavenders this time. I also researched so I could stagger bloom times. I finally ordered a couple ligularia. I've wanted them for a long time.

Equilibrium gave me links to plants that could handle walnut trees awhile back. I'll ask her to dig them up again for me and I will pass them on to you.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks, I do have a list, and it's also in one of the first issues of Garden Gate. I know what won't grow very well and I just ordered 4 of them. I'm not sure where they are going yet. (Monkshood.)

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I got a bareroot plant from Jung's last year that looked scary but made it fine. Wayside really jaded me when I got credit for replacing a dead plant of theirs, but had to pay $9 for shipping for a plant that could fit in a pop can.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

That was not right!

Wayside got way too expensive for me. I only ordered a couple things every year to keep the catalogue coming. I'm learning to check the listings here to see who owns what. I order from one and the rest are sent even if I never order from them.

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

You guys are killing me here. What and where is PG? Any place that'll let me "dig thru the compost and giveaway piles" is something I need to find out about!

LOL. Powell Gardens. I work there and EvaMae volunteers there. www.powellgardens.org

It's a great place to be and will be even better next year when our new Harvest Garden is complete.

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh thanks Pepper it looks breathtaking! How wonderful it must be to spend time there on a regular basis....and get paid for it too! I don't guess I'll be stopping in anytime soon to dig through the giveaway piles. Dang it.

LOL.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Lala_Jane, there isn't much in the throway piles right now with the weather we're having. Now come springtime and during the summer and fall months there is usually lots of good stuff to sort thru. I try to not be greedy and take more than my share. But sometimes I find bulbs that have been there for 2 weeks or more so I will gather them ALL up and bring them home to share with family and friends. Or is something looks really wilted and I know it probably has been there a day or so and will expire if not given prompt care I will take as many as possible and see if I can pull them thru. Pickings will be more slim tho this year since Pepper will be there every day. LOL. I hear she has a grandmother who, like me, is a plant garbage can. Just throw it her way, she will be glad to have it. I even like to get the 'spent' potting soil left over from the greenhouse repottings. I can use it in my raised beds, pots, and compost pile. Sometimes there are goodies in there too. Last year I rescued about 15 mum cuttings that almost weren't because there were only 2 or 3 leaves on them and 6 or 8 Butterfly bush rooted cuttings because they had to many and pitched the leftovers that were all in one days worth of spent potting soil. I shared with my daughter in law and then my banty hens got to a whole tray of starts and killed a lot of them. If I had known which hen(s) did it she/they would have been history. I also sorted thru Dr. Henderson's iris rhizome castoffs and now have 7 or 8 new iris plants growing in a tray. I have no idea if they are all the same or different ones or which ones they are. But since he only has the latest and best ones offered I know they will be lovelies. It will probably be 2 or 3 years before they produce blooms.

I do plan to come up tomorrow, Pepper. The road grader went thru and the roads look pretty good. I'll probably take a longer way to highway 50 tho so I'll be a bit later getting there. I need to stop and get pushwater for the van too. I suppose I should call Ami tonight and make sure she has something for me to do. I'm sure she will. And I'll take your cell phone # with me so I can make contact with you. If I'm there I 'll eat lunch at the hort. cabin so maybe we can at least spend lunch together. Pepper, I just talked to Ami & she said they can find something for me to do. So I'll look forward to seeing you.

Not much going on here. I was going to go to town today but the papers I was expecting from the insurance company didn't come so I stayed home. I got to have a nice long phone visit with the DIL who lives in Springfield and is still without electricity. Then my pastor called and we had a nice long visit too.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

Glad you are coming!! I will make sure to eat up there tomorrow. Might be a little late. Am wanting to start snowball fights sometime tomorrow. LOL. Dennis still isn't back yet so I have no idea if he's back tomorrow or not. Will bring him up there if he is though, unless you see him before then. See ya tomorrow!!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi -- Newbie to this site and just starting to get into seed gardening.

For many years i ordered from Spring Hill and find they have a great "guarantee" as they have replaced anything that has died.
but now that i'm getting into seeds, i just ordered from Gurnee's (which i hope wasn't a mistake, since their reviews are not too good)
but again - i am only getting seeds from them.

I did get a Jungs catalog this winter and their stuff really looked great... I have a summer place near Madison, WI and plan to pop in this Spring to see what i can't live without.

I did get about 4 or 5 catalogs in Nov-Dec, but ordered from Gurneys due to the "spend $50 get $25 off" coupon.

Looking forward to some good reading in here.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Well, I wondered what PG was too. (To me it means Proctor and Gamble. LOL!)
What a wonderful place!

Tipton, IA

hi im a newbie too hey hi from tipton, Iowa nichols isnt far and LOL yes i thought of procterand gamble too...gee maybe a roadtrip this summer LoL

Tipton, IA

totally tomatoes is good, i also ordered, neon lights swiss chard n rainbow carrots from burpee.did you see varigated leaf tomatoe seeds??

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi Rockrun, Nope,Tipton isn't too far. We go there occasionally. Do you have a big garden and flower beds?

I ordered from Totally Tomatoes too. They have the most seeds of anyone and I read all the tomato descriptions. Now I also check the forums and take everyone's advice on their favorites.

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

The lake area got none of that weather. Plenty of rain. today was around 60 and last I heard tomorrow is suppose to be warmer with more rain. If we get another warm rain I am going to have hosta trying to emerge again. I am hoping there is no wind tomorrow. would be a good day to catch some really big Largemouth Bass. I will see. I have had the chargers on all day got all three batteries up on full charge and should be ready to go if weather permits.

Oz, you are making me hungry talking about fishing. LOL. Hope you are able to go and catch some big uns.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.