Scaley patches on Hymenocallis?

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

Has anyone seen this sort of thing before on any of their Amaryllids?

This is on a Hymenocallis, on several leaves.

In the picture you can see higher up on the leaf where I have scraped the crusty patch off. It's hard and takes some doing to remove it.

Thumbnail by raydio

Closer.

Thumbnail by raydio

Another leaf.

Thumbnail by raydio

Shot in the dark-
Hippeastrum Mosaic Potyvirus?

I will check that out.

Robert.

Hi Equi~

I've been checking out the virus angle and looking at several insect pest issues, and can't say much more at present. I'll take some better pix of the crusty places and the color variations when I can move the plant to better light.

But I think you may have set me on the right track. Virus is a possibility so much these days and several insects were in the general area and *very* close to these plants and may have been present and I didn't see them on this particular plant. Thrips, earwigs and clickbeetles to name a few.

Better pix later.

Thanks for your help.

Robert.

I love a mystery!

Here's my guess right now- Lycoris potyvirus.

OK, I think I have it pretty much figured out. It was a nice sunny and mild day (shirtsleeve day) and I carried my plant out into the bright sun and had a close look at it all over.

The bumps are healing callouses for insect damage. Several suspected pests have been spotted in the area.

The variegated portions seem to be only in the waxy surface layer of the leaf and not inside. So I think that rules out a virus pretty much, and points the finger again at an insect.

And while looking around in there, I found one I hadn't seen before: the black kind of thrip. Yes there were those sharp-shaped tiny little devils, not many, but enough!

I'll be soaping down my plant ASAP and keeping a sharper eye out from now on.

Thanks for spurring on my search for an answer, Equi!

Robert.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.