Icky grass help needed...Big City Al, where are yooooooo?

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Thought I'd better start a new thread becuase this topic won't hold much interest to my fellow CGers.

Finally got my pictures off the camera. This grass has a lot of good qualities, but it is a nuisnance in the flower beds. Annual Rye was the closest to everything you talked about, Al.

Thumbnail by Illoquin

Another

Thumbnail by Illoquin

A big shot.

Thumbnail by Illoquin

And here you can see the bright green with the darker green bluegrass creating a splotchy look.

Thumbnail by Illoquin
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Hi Suzy - you rang ;)

The third photo looks pretty thin. This is full sun right? I am still leaning towards annual ryegrass. The life cycle here is that if you plant it this year it will overwinter and die out during the heat of summer the next year. It is in most sun seed blends, but you are closer to the transitional zone than I am so maybe it can reseed there. I have never used a preemergent on it to control it, but I have on annual bluegrass which should be similar. It is applied late summer before the seedheads ripen.
gotta look in my books - I swear annual ryegrass in different than italian ryegrass.
http://www.american-lawns.com/grasses/rye_ann.html

No, then that's not it. My grass is bright healthy green in the middle of hot summer. That's one of the reasons I like it (as opposed to bluegrass). The grass is thin because I walk over it back and forth seemingly hundreds of times a day. Okay, maybe not that much, but a lot.

Hmm, maybe if you run into it you can give me a ring :)

Suzy

This message was edited Nov 20, 2006 2:38 AM

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Is it white grass?
http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/grasses/plants/white_grass.htm

Hi Kathleen,

I don't know -- I can't tell from the description and I've either never seen it bloom & seed or just plain don't remember what the seed spike looks like. I bookmarked it and have a patch I can let go to seed next summer because everything looks right about it, I just can't tell. Thanks for finding it!

Suzy

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

If it is growing in your planter beds it will be a nuicance. Over here crabgrass goes nuts and spreads with those awful ryzomes so it will go miles away from the original spot and it seeds so fast. It is better to kill that , but if yours is green in the summer and winter, I don`t know what it could be either. It is obviosly not a grass we have here in Ca. tall fescue goes dormant but it spreads in gardens too. My pipes froze, so you are having our warm winters and we are taking the cold this year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.