Anybody have easy plans for an outside cat house?

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

I am looking for easy-to-use (and understand) plans for an outside cat house. My husband hates cats in the house (although, right now, I have 2) and we have 4 pet cats outside (along with 2 - sometimes more, feral cats). I currently just have a long ricketty make-shift table with a similarly shaky top over it to feed on. I would like to build something with multiple levels and maybe sectioned-off (like little rooms) for cats to be somewhat separated. The 'room' dividers would also assist in providing more shelter from the north winds (and rain) that sometimes blow through our area during the winter. Also as a safe haven from wandering dogs. It would be nice if it could resemble a small rustic (we have a log house) kids or doll house. (It would be easier to for DH not to complain if it looks cute and/or blends in)

Another issue would be how to keep it preserved. The table I have is only about 1 1/2yrs old and has already show enough weathering to be very shaky and rotting. I thought about wood (water) preservative they say to put on decks or clear coating with sealer, but I have a long board that was clear coated w/sealer that was meant to be a shelf (never hung) that is now outside and it is also starting to show weathering. It has been outside approx 1 year.

I have searched multiple times, for hours, on the internet and have not found much other than pictures. I need more specific information since I am not familiar with "building" with tools, but willing to try to learn. (DH does understand/works with construction, but for some reason refuses to help me or build it.)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions available. ~~~ Carol

This thread has 11 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!