Palms outdoors in low country?

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

With our 2nd frost last night, I chickened out and brought my potted Queen palm onto the screened porch. I was going to attemp to overwinter it with plastic to keep it dry and C9 lights to keep it warm. I'd love to know if anyone else in the coastal plain of the Carolinas has any potted non-cold-hardy palms that you're keeping out over the winter, and how you're doing it? If so, do you have photos of your "winter protection" methods, of whatever type?
Deb

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Here is a link about your palm. It says it's hardy down to 20 degrees.

http://www.sunpalmtrees.com/Cold-Hardy-Palm-Trees-Queen-Palms.htm

X

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks X. That's a link I hadn't come across before. Still, I worry, since my Queen is still pretty small and not in the ground. U know how it is, they say it's hardy to so many degrees, but then the frost warning comes and fear sets in!
(The black wrap was part of my "frost panic" ! :)

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I always brought my Parlor Palm into the greenhouse .. since yours is so small, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to drag it inside when you know we are going to have a freeze.

Here is where I check our weather:

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/29485?locid=29485&from=36hr_topnav_undeclared

It's pretty much on the mark. On nights where we are going to have a hard freeze I check the hour by hour on that page.

X

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

X: Thanks. If my love of tropical plants continues, I'll need to come up with spot for a greenhouse somehow - since I have only 2 south/west facing windows that don't have big trees right outside shading them. Spots by those windows are at a premium with Orchids, BOPs, et al.
Thanks for the link!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

We are a lot warmer than Summerville down here (low of 48 last night) and Queen Palms are iffy around here. I would protect it if I were you.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks Ardesia. I think I will err on the side of caution after all. Amazing what a difference 100 miles makes!

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

We can get away with the queen palm's here as well but I don't think you can get away with leaving it outside. I've seen a few big ones around here in protected areas, not out in the wide open.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks, and hello Blufton! I should just move a few more miles southeast! :)
I've created it's own little mini-greenhouse. A personal micro-climate, just for Queenie. "She" is on my screen porch but well protected with auxilliary heating available if needed. I plan to put it in ground next spring in a protected location. Then I will definitely have to get creative for winter.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.