Very cool! - African Waterhole on LiveCam

Columbus, OH(Zone 6a)

Thought I'd share a link to Africam.com: http://www.wavelit.com/index.asp?ch=Wildlife&sh=africam#. It's a 24-hour view of a South African waterhole.

I haven't seen anything yet, though the messageboard I visit has several posts about people seeing baboons and water buffalo. The sounds are amazing, though! I have it playing in the background as I type this, very soothing.

Let me know if you see anything. Enjoy!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

My teenager showed me this recently. We haven't seen much(there are two birds on the pond at the moment) but we had fun speculating about what was around there. The most excitement we had w as when somebody changed the camera's position.....I'm listening to the crickets too..Holy cow something just splashed>>>>>>>>

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Very cool! I'll have to look up the time zone difference.... sure sounds like "dawn song" there now! Every time I heard something over to the side, I found myself stretching my neck to "see" around the edge of the frame, LOL.

Thanks for sharing that link... I'll have to send it to my folks, who had a wonderful trip to Africa last winter.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

hah, just scrolled down on that page and found a current time displayed... +7 hours from EST. :-)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

oh, another neat trick... double click on the little video window for a full screen view...

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

If this is live, it has a mom and baby antelope on right now.

Laura

shoot, they moved the camera back to the waterhole. Sorry!

This message was edited Nov 25, 2006 9:46 AM

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I showed this web sight to my parents during Thanksgiving...and I swear, it provided our whole holiday entertainment, lol. What a wonderful treat. We've seen everything from cranes, turtles, zebras, ducks, thompson's gazelle ( I think ), baboons, wildebeest, giraffes, a huge millipede on the ground that someone zeroed in on....and some water buffalo. We were watching during their nighttime...and heard thunder in the distance and watched it rain. Just beautiful...and peaceful to sleep to the sounds of crickets, thunder and frogs. :) Thanks for telling us about this websight, ceceoh :)

Melanie

Columbus, OH(Zone 6a)

You're welcome! I loved the sound of rain and birds, too. I wanted to move the computer up to my bedside table! :)

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

lol...I know what you mean....really relaxing.. :)

Melanie

Thornton, IL

There are water buffalo there now! :0)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I've been seriously addicted to the Africam site for several days now. It is SO fun!! So far I've seen elephants, wildebeest, baboons, hyenas, jackals, zebra, impalas, nyalas, pied crows, Egyptian geese, yellow-billed hornbill, and some really disgusting big millipedes. LOL Here is anoter site with several common African animals pictured. It helps to figure out what you are looking at, especially with all the different kinds of antelope: http://www.sa-venues.com/wildlife/default.htm

Thornton, IL

Well, I went there this morning and the screen is black. I hope they're just doing routine maintenance. It sure was hopping last night, about 3 am! LOL Thanks for that second link Marylyn, I don't know half the wildlife there.

Thornton, IL

Still nothing, can anyone else get a picture?

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

I got a screen that says:

Quoting:
Sorry for the inconvenience
This camera is currently out of service
Please check back soon.
Wavelit

Thornton, IL

Bummer. Maybe it will be back up by this evening (tomorrow morning in Africa). I agree with ceceoh, it's lots better than those fancy alarm clocks, even my cat seems to like the sounds. LOL

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I was there for sunrise today! Saw wildebeasts, a safari vehicle (LOL), a giraffe browsing in the trees, and a couple of antelope-types (half hidden by shrubs) that were butting heads.... now it's wildebeasts again!

Columbus, OH(Zone 6a)

Egyptian geese! :)

Hillsdale, MI(Zone 5b)

I was there at sunrise too this was very cool even got my husband hooked on looking. We also saw the bewilderbeast and a little one jumping around. Thank you so much for sharing this site its now on my favorites.
Kim

Hillsdale, MI(Zone 5b)

There are Gazelles up right now how cool.

Hillsdale, MI(Zone 5b)

Elephants! A pair of them.
Kim

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

ooh, yes, the elephants are fun!! It's been a busy day at the waterhole.... :-)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh, too cool... the elephants are SPLASHING around in the water hole right now!

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Yeah!! Someone is manning the camera today cause it's following them around!

hmm, the water looks lower than it did a couple nights ago

This message was edited Dec 6, 2006 9:36 AM

Anyone know what the time difference is?

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

It's about seven (7) hours difference. It is now 3:20 a.m. Friday morning in Africa.

Thank you, linthicum. That would be a 10 hour difference for me then, I think.

Wow How cool is this!! I saw some falling stars too. Well they were falling upwards in the sky. 'Southern hemisphere'
There is a clock on the site and it's seems to be 10 hrs ahead of us Mendy.
Thanks for sharing the link

Didn't see that clock there, Kin. Thanks. ;o)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.