A BIG boy!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Making the email rounds........

One big cat!! He's a 'LIGER'

On a typical day he will devour 200lb of meat, usually beef or chicken, and is capable of eating 100lb at a single setting. At just three years old, Hercules already weighs half a ton.

He is the unintentional result of two enormous big cats living close together at the Institute of Greatly Endangered and Rare Species, in Miami, Florida, and already dwarfs both his parents.

"Ligers are not something we planned on having," said institute owner Dr Bhagavan Antle. "We have lions and tigers living together in large enclosures and at first we had no idea how well one of the lion boys was getting along with a tiger girl, then lo and behold we had a liger." These two cats don't normally have the opportunity to breed in the wild, as most lions live in Africa and most tigers in Asia.

50mph runner... not only that, but he likes to swim, a feat unheard of among water-fearing lions. In the wild it is virtually impossible for lions and tigers to mate Not only are they enemies likely to kill one another. But incredible though he is, Hercules is not unique. Ligers have been bred in captivity, deliberately and accidentally, since shortly before World War II

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Today there are believed to be a handful of ligers around the world and a similar number of tigons, the product of a tiger father and lion mother. Tigons are smaller than ligers and take on more physical characteristics of the tiger.

A closer picture of the liger.

This message was edited Nov 16, 2006 2:55 AM

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

What a beautiful animal! He's so huge! What an appropriate name :). Need a full time job just to feed the guy. Thanks for sharing the pics and information.

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

That was interesting! I'd hate to have to pay the grocery bill for him.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I think my jaw dropped when I first saw the size of him. Beautiful and expensive animal (one I'd hate to have turn on me....I really admire those that can handle and train them correctly).

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Gooooood-ness, Lilypon !!

He's a gorgeous lil meow-puss now haint he.

Gee-willy-kers! Doggone sure adds a whole new twist to saying "here kitty-kitty!" .. not to mention, a whole new perspective of what a wholesome 'healthy respect' REALLY means!! .. LOL ..

Oh my! Hope the handlers never mess around and miss a feeding for those vermin, either ..

Most all of us know that the Lord will provide - but I really don't think that He'd've intended for anyone to be served up as an entre' for these 'ticular meow-kitties, either!

Yes'ms .. I know that there are countries where the people endure and suffer such atrocities from the wildlife .. so please forgive my humor, (in that respect). But these folks, have surely gotta have some in-depth training and plenty of back-up close by. Jes GOT to! ..

- Magpye

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Hey and "Hi" Magpye! :)

Imagine the amount of faith and trust it would take to sit up on that perch without fear coming out of every pore..........I cringe when our now 3/4's grown kitten jumps on my lap (he tries to keep his claws in but sometimes forgets).

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

It's really hard to imagine half a ton of cat: tigers are pretty overwhelming, but lightweights compared to this guy!

Missouri City, TX(Zone 9a)

He is huge! Hate to run into him in a dark alley- any alley for that matter.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I love the big cats...And this is a BIG one.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

When I first saw him with his trainers I wondered if they'd have him work in a couple of movies to pay for his room and board. ;) re running into him a back alley I think of the movie "Lion in the Darkness".....he's missing the mane but boy he'd portray an *impressive* rogue man-eating lion.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 8a)

Lilypon ~
Holy Guacamole! That guy is HUGE!!
DS and fiance will LOVE this pic. They love cats.
Did you actually see this guy!

Thanks Maria for sharing this forum!
I need to get around The Garden more!
Karen~

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Lilypon, He's gorgeous!!! I've heard of them but never saw a picture. I just love him, but I would never completely trust him unless he had a lobotomy!

Are there any pictures of a tigon around?

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

LOLOLOL me too! re lobotomy ;) Here's a site that compares the two: http://ambassadors.net/archives/issue14/features3.htm

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Wow, that is confusing and amazing! I can imagine a saber tooth tiger better now. I'm glad you found the picture and story to post.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Funny that's what I first thought too when I saw Hercules (just imagined some oversize fangs). :S

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

ROTFL!!! Me too. Ever read The Clan of The Cave bear stories?

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Oh yes :) Long time ago now but I remember she made a pet of one (I think........memories faded a bit now).

This message was edited Nov 21, 2006 8:34 PM

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I'm still waiting for the last book where they go to his home to meet his mother. Has she written it yet!? I got tired of looking for it.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

The Shelters of Stone is still the most recent :( : http://www.jeanmauel.co.uk/jeanMAuel.htm
(edited to correct title.......gotta lock this place up soon)/

This message was edited Nov 21, 2006 8:42 PM

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Finally! I reread all of them years ago thinking it would be out while all the stories were fresh in my mind. LOL! I still like the first one the best!

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

He's big and he's beautiful. A few years ago I had the priviledge of visiting a lion. He decided I was a wonderful toy and wrapped his arms around my body and had his teeth positioned on my neck. He never bit nor did he extend his claws, but the ADRENLIN rush I had was beyond description. Fear is powerful.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

WOW! Where did you get to meet him at?

It was at a little zoo in NJ, which is composed of previously neglected, abandoned and abused animals. The guy I was dating at the time was a friend of the manager of the zoo, so we got a personal tour. This lion was his personal "pet" He was an adolescent at about 200 lbs. His toy, which he batted around like one of our house kittties would bat around a ping pong ball, was a bowling ball. He sliced a watermelon with one swing of his paw like it was butter. The proceeds of that action went to the monkeys. Another memory of that visit was holding a bobcat. I have never before or since touched anything as soft as that cat's fur. It is too sad that the bobcat had his claws and eyeteeth removed so some dummy could have a bobcat as a house pet. Which of course the dummy didn't keep!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

What a sad story, but a great chance to do something you never would have gotten to do otherwise.

Poor bobcat. They need to stop selling animals to people who aren't a zoo.

Quoting:
Poor bobcat. They need to stop selling animals to people who aren't a zoo.

Ain't that the truth!!!

Scottsdale, AZ

just wondering, like horses and donkeys make mules that are sterile, are ligers sterile or... ?

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I feel really bad that I didn't notice this one had been replied to (I fell waaaaay behind checking out my watched threads).

BillyPorter I agree the first was the best written. Off topic but by any chance have you read Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series?

Venu what an amazing once-in-a-lifetime experience you had! Sorry to hear about the Bobcat....I'm always surpised that people are allowed to have exotic *wild* animals as pets.

hey_jude this is what I found: Male ligers are sterile--no fertile males have been found, at least to-date; else it would be possible to breed these giant cats. Female ligers are fertile, which allows breeding hybrid creatures like the one shown below (called ti-liger, from Tiger father and LIGER mother). Perhaps the ligers' sterility issue could be solved genetically, by changing some of tiger and lion genes which are responsible for the creation of the offspring's reproduction system. Or maybe, when one or several fertile male ligers will be born, the ligers' reproduction will get a green light. http://ambassadors.net/archives/issue14/features3.htm

This message was edited Dec 3, 2006 1:05 AM

This message was edited Dec 3, 2006 1:06 AM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I think most of the pictures on that site have a real "photoshopped" look to them...

I was expecting to find that the whole account was a hoax, but according to the urbanlegends site, "Hercules the liger" does exist. http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_liger_hercules2.htm

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Lily, no I haven't and don't feel bad. I get caught up and I'm gone for days again. I'll be baking cookies today, so I'll barely catch up. Actually, I haven't picked up a book since we got internet. I used to read almost every day.

Critter, I never thought of doctored photos. I do almost scream when I see how big a lion or tiger is compared to a person. It seems unreal!

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

Hey Lilypon! Just dropped in to see this big boy of yours, and is he ever big - WOW! On your off topic, I've read both the Clan of the Cave Bear and the Outlander series. I've been following Diana Gabaldon's Lord John series too, and I've even read all the crossover novels by (hmmmmmm.....can't think of her name right now), the author that has a series set in the same time and place in America and whose characters interact with some of the Outlander characters. Have you seen these?

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Billy it's getting tougher for me too (but now that my kids are away I'm finding more time again. :)

No I haven't Ginny..........I'd love it if you could remember the author's name. Here's what the library's Novelist database has...I kiss it, google, and our Genrereflecting books often because there is no way I can keep up with all the fiction books out there.

Read-alikes of the Outlander Series:

Other than not having a time-travel element, the romantic Historical Fiction series by Sara Donati that begins with Into the Wilderness (which is most easily described as a sequel to the Daniel Day Lewis / Madeline Stowe movie version of Last of the Mohicans) offers a similar and satisfying reading experience to Outlander readers. Donati's novels have the same smooth integration of solid history, evocative and detailed settings, the love of two "outsiders" for each other that matures, survives and overcomes -- and the same rousing storytelling that weaves together a growing and evolving cadre of family, friends, and adversaries and sweeps the reader into the adventure along with the characters. Donati regards Gabaldon as her mentor -- and it shows in her writing style.

Romance readers seem to have a fondness for Scottish Historicals -- and there are many. However, it is rare to find a 400-page Romance whose deep sense of time and place even begins to compare with the multi-volume sweep of Outlander. Marsha Canham has come close with her three Scottish romances set squarely in the time of the Jacobite rebellion. Midnight Honor is a stand-alone, while The Pride of Lions has a true sequel, The Blood of Roses, so the latter two are better enjoyed when read in order. Canham's solidly researched history takes these tales well beyond "wallpaper history" to the point that some Romance readers find her violence too graphic, too accurate. Her romantic relationships are as sensual as Gabaldon's -- if a bit more explicit. Canham's melding of steamy romance, evocative settings, and solid Jacobean politics and history might be just the ticket for those Gabaldon fans who are particularly drawn to the Scotland of the Outlander series.

For those readers who enjoy the time travel element of Gabaldon's series combined with solid Historical Fiction and an engrossing storyline, Nancy Bond's Another Shore is a good choice. Here, a teenager working as a historical interpreter in a reconstructed 18th century Nova Scotia town finds herself back in the 18th century. Lyn's struggles to adapt to life in the 20th and 18th centuries, a bit of a love story, and the unusual goings-on she sees in both times will resonate with Outlander readers. Bond's protagonists are a bit younger, but the tone, vivid and accurate historic setting, and depth of character development in her novels have a similar feel to Outlander. If Another Shore pleases, several of her other titles, while not exactly time travel, involve the past as an active part of present-day events.

Anya Seton wrote several "thick" books with elements of appeal for Outlander fans -- though no one book has everything. At least two time-travel novels, Green Darkness (in which today's Celia must solve the mystery of a Tudor Celia) and Smouldering Fires (contemporary young woman's life parallels that of another in 18th century Acadia), and several solid Historical Romances, Katherine (she's Chaucer's sister-in-law and John of Gaunt's mistress), The Winthrop Woman (Colonial Massachusetts), and Devil Water (Englishwoman, Jacobite sympathizers, Colonial Virginia) have the nicely paced, involving stories woven through with solid historic detail and attention to character in a story-telling style. Many also have settings that will seem familiar to Gabaldon's fans.

Finally, it might seem a bit of a stretch at first, but Christy by Catherine Marshall takes the reader into the same mountains Jamie's Scots settled, only 150 years later. There are some wonderful parallels here: Christy is an "Outlander" in these mountains, her move to Cutter Gap in 1912 is akin to stepping into the past; she brings a special skill (teaching) that helps her win acceptance, and she certainly is caught between two men who are as different as Frank Randall and Jamie Fraser. The sense of place, the well drawn and important secondary characters, and the growth and development of the primary characters will help Gabaldon readers feel right at home.

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

Sara Donati! That's her! I'm very surprised that the write up doesn't mention the actual cross over to the Outlander characters. There's not a lot of it, but I found it gave a nice feeling of familiarity and a sort of added dimension to the culture and society surrounding Jamie and Claire and their family in America. I have yet to read the most recent one in the series, but it's sitting on my bookshelf waiting for me :-)

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Thank you Ginny! :)

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

Any time :-)

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

For more great information on big cats, check out Tippi Hedron's Shambala ranch!
http://www.shambala.org/
She created the ranch after her film endeavor, "ROAR", which sent her deep into the dark world of "pet" big cats. The story of Shambala is amazing. She never lets you forget that these are wild creatures, & not to be trusted. But she also loves them all uncondtionally, & accepts them for what they are. Most came from the pet trade, former zoos, abuse & abandonment cases. Many have had claws & teeth removed. A true success story of big cat rescue, & a frank look at the truths behind these gorgeous, dangerous animals. Check out the photo section too!
Julie

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Wonderful pics in the Gallery..........thank you for pointing this site out Julie.

I noticed they have a liger too and a link to a National Geographic site on them. The pictures do look "photoshopped" even there: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/08/0804_050804_ligers_2.html but I think it's just the nature of the beast that makes them look that way. The picture is ~ 1/2 way down the page.

This message was edited Dec 6, 2006 8:05 PM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

The series of photos of "Hercules" (like the first photos in this thread) didn't look doctored to me, but some of the other liger and tigron photos has a definite cut-and-paste look to them, I thought. The Nat. Geog. link led me to some other interesting links, including a disturbing mention (in an article about a dog playing wet nurse to a pair of tiger cubs) of a 46 year old woman who not only nursed an infant monkey but is still nursing it several years later!

We enjoyed the photos at the Shambala site... some of the animals have unlikely names, such as "Chuck" the tiger... :-)

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I think the cats this large seem fake, just because they are so unbelievable. Did you notice the size of it's head? It is 3 times as large as the girl's! Just a snack for that cat!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.