How do I propagate Climbing Hydrangea?

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Hi kids!

Quick question: Can climbing hydrangeas be propagated by hardwood cuttings now?

If so, I want to ask for some cuttings on the plant trading forum,,,,,,, unless somebody here has some? I can trade, but not hydrangeas...in fact with all the southerners on the list, I might not have anything you'd want, afterall. I was going to offer our beautiful magnolia, but you'd just laugh at our pitiful magnolias up here. :(

Well, let me know if they can be propagated now -- that's the burning question.

Thankee,
Suzy

Hanover Twp., PA(Zone 6a)

Wait until after the new buds in the spring have opened and take cuttings of the semi hard wood stems. Right now most of the sugars have gone down into the roots for the winter. It is easier to get plants to root in late spring early summer, well for most things anyway.

Oh, okay. I saw that in the plant files, but wasn't sure what it meant when it said 'semi hard' I figured a vine maybe never had hardwood or something LOL.

While I was in the plant files, I saw the vareigated climbing hydrangeas, so now I won't be happy until I get one of those. dang!

Thanks, mgarr, for the help.
Suzy

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Suzy,

Climbing Hydrangrea are very easy to propagate. Simply take a vine (still attached to the mother plant), scrap away some of bark on the underside. Nestle the scraped vine in the dirt and mound it over with more soil. Put a heavy stone or brick on top of the mound to keep it in place. You will have a completely rooted youngester in a couple of months. Once it has rooted, then seperate the baby from the mother plant. Viola!

Yeah, the only trouble with that is that I don't have one! LOL! I was going to do a little trading in the plant forum to get a cutting if now is the time, but it looks like I should wait.

Thanks fr the tip for when I *do* get one and want to make more.

Suzy

Colts Neck, NJ(Zone 7a)

Suzy, I am sending you email

Sofi

Indianapolis, IN

Suzy, are you still wanting these? I have two that I was going to dig and get rid of this spring, they are your if you want them.

Steph

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.