Miscanthus sinensis invading Panicum virgatum

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

From the center of the clump of Switch grass (Panicum virgatum) I've been cutting out Miscanthus sinensis all summer. Actually it was another Dg member that noticed it in a previously posted photo, I thought it was Indian grass (Sorghastrum nutans). I never planted the Miscanthus, it is from a neighbors garden. I spoke to the new neighbor and they might be willing to replace their grass with a native grass. In the meantime how do I get rid of my new invader without destroying my nice big clump of Switch Grass?

This message was edited Nov 15, 2006 6:16 AM

Thumbnail by sempervirens
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Try The Glove of Death.

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

OK, VV, I'll bite, what is " THE GLOVE of DEATH?"

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Well, it was discussed last here...

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/629070/

...but here's where some (better) in-depth discussion took place:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/576668/

Have coffee at the ready, to aid absorption and awake-ness.

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

VV, got it bookmarked and printed out to read carefully at leisure. Thanks

Thornton, IL

Since it's pretty obvious when they're in bloom (and still now I hope), you could dig up the clump (using two forks and a helper, if handy) and cull out the invader.

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

PrairieGirl,
I'm afraid I already cut out all the seed heads to prevent seeding. I will have to dig it up in the spring. I believe the reason the miscanthus is growing in the center is because the clump needs division and the center died out. Because this grass is on the strip between the street and the sidewalk I have to keep the grass contained by hidden stakes and twine. Besides controlling it for the lawn police I have discovered some people are afraid of plants. I was watching someone walking on the sidewalk through the garden and pull back in horror and even cry out when a plant or leaf touched them. Others are afraid there are bugs lurking inside the plant, sadly the bugs scare mostly kids. There must be a whole psychology pertaining to people who fear nature uncontained, or in this case the appearance of a naturalistic planting.
I have been avoiding the task of dividing the grass since it will be quite a chore. The miscanthus has a white stripe in the middle of the blade so I'm hoping to be able to identify it in the spring. Whatever I can't cull I'll have to deal with chemically. I prefer organic means but it seems to be quite persistent.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.