A quick update..(x-posted)

Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

on the bald Adenium Obesum. I asked this here before the Caucidiforms forum opened shop, so I thought I'd post an update on this one. It's leafed out pretty nicely with the exception of the mealy bugs that love to feast on the new growth.
I thought I won't see any leaves until spring, guess it wasn't going dormant and was just underwatered up to the point that the leaves fell off. Thank you for everyone that reassured me that it's okay, and provided some answers at the time.
Here's the link to that old thread
[HYPERLINK@davesgarden.com]

One question though, it was raining hard for one whole day, and I forgotten this outside with saucer underneath, so when I came out this morning, the saucer was full of water, so the plant was sitting there overnight. Now it's overly wet, that the clay pot seems to feel too damp. Do I need to unpot it and let it dry? The soil is good draining though, hopefully I don't have to unpot it again, because this poor thing has been unpotted too many times within the past 2 months.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Here's the before picture...The Adenium in subject is the one far left

Thumbnail by baileykat
Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

After picture...Not bad, eh?

Thumbnail by baileykat
Yardley, PA

I personally would not repot it especially if you are keeping it warm. If it is cold, that is when I run into trouble. My adeniums don't usually go dormant for the winter because I keep them warm and under lights.

Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks SallyD, they are kept outside during sunny days, and brought back in at night. I'm checking the caudex 'obsessively' just in case it started to feel spongy, so far so good. Luckely they're still small, easy to be transported in and out of the house daily, for now at least.
Thanks again for your input.

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

If you have them in a good fast-draining mix they should be fine. Just don't water them again until they're almost dry to make sure they didn't get overwatered. The nice weather we've had the last few days should dry them out pretty well, and bringing them in at night keeps the dew from forming on them as it does so heavily this time of year in our area.

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

BK, what are you doing about the bugs?

Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi BB, I used Bayer Advanced Rose and Flower Care, All-in-One Systemic liquid thing, mix 2 tbsp (1 oz)/gal of water.
So far the ones that I've drenched with it haven't gotten infested by bugs again, but the newbies that I brought home and haven't been treated yet are getting bugged (mostly mealies and aphids, as usual), so I will be doing this again sometime soon. Seems to be working, so far, and for what it's worth, the ones that I drenched with this looks healthier/shinier. Weird, or maybe because it has some fertilizer in it, or I'm seeing things again...lol.
Have you tried anything to kill the bugs on yours, I'm not sure if it was you or someone else having bug problems as well. And if I remember correctly, your adenium was dropping leaves, is that one doing okay now?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.