Favorite books on Cottage Gardening

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi, all you cottage gardeners, old and new! I just got 2 books in today's mail on cottage gardening

'Cottage Garden Annuals' by Clive Lane
'The Making of a Garden: Gertrude Jekyll' an anthology compile by Cherry Lewis

I have on order, but have not yet received

'Color Schemes for the Cottage Garden' by Gertrude Jekyll
'English Cottage Gardening for American Gardeners' by Margaret Hensel, Tasha Tudor

I think the winter will be a wonderful time to take advantage of reading and planning time. I am wintersowing for the first time and having a new bed built in the spring. So I plan on having lots of fun laying out the new bed and deciding where everything will go. Between the new books and the good advice here, I think I've got it made!.

But just in case, anybody else have another book that I really 'have' to get? Or just some titles that you would like to share with the group? When I've had a chance to look at these, I'll let you know what I think.

gram

Thumbnail by grampapa
Orrville, OH(Zone 5b)

Might I suggest something by Christopher Lloyd. In particuliar I enjoyed "The Cottage Garden", "Succession Planting for Year-Round Pleasure " and "Color for Adventurous Gardeners ".

Prophetstown, IL(Zone 5a)

I've always enjoyed "Tasha Tudor's Garden" - the photographs are wonderful and the book is organized by month...just a lovely read

Catherine

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

I also have "The Cottage Garden" by Christopher Lloyd (& Richard Bird) and think it's really good. The other book I have is "Creating a Cottage Garden in North America" by Stephen Westcott-Gratton. It has lots of good information, although I wish it had more pictures. The pictures that it does have, however, are excellent.

And I do so agree that Tasha Tudor's Garden is a lovely read - one of my favorites . . . the cover has her with a huge bouquet of sweet peas.

I actually have an embarrassing amount of gardening books and am always looking at more!!!

Orrville, OH(Zone 5b)

Tasha Tudor's Garden is my favorite book to curl up with on those cold February nights when it seems winter will never end. This book has the most beautiful photography of any book in my library.

My personal garden library only numbers a few dozen but lucky for me I live within walking distance of one of the top rated public libraries in the nation. I check out books often and know which are my favorites before I buy.

Smart lady, Maozamom. I have this ridiculous tendency to go to Amazon and get hooked into something before I really know what I'm getting (good cover, good intro, etc.). I have several books I am going to sell at my plant sale next summer. Oh my, summer is so far away . . . sigh . . .

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Its a little of topic but I was just mentioning The Secret Garden on another thread. It is a wonderful novel about people and a garden growing. No real tips on gardening but a great book to remind you off why you love gardening (and people). I've read it to both my younger children but you don't need a child to enjoy it.
Dave

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Yes, yes! Try the library for books, and it's so easy, since most of them have their entire collections online. I can pull in and reserve books from any branch anywhere in the system. I get email reminders whan they are due back, and also can renew them online. I have seen a boook mentioned here on DG and gotten it from the library, but also if they don't have it they will order it just for little ole me and it is delivered to my neighborhood branch library.

I have had books out for an entire year by doing this (there is a 17 week max for book in my library system). It just like having your own copy except sometimes you have to lend it back to the library LOL. Definitely able to Try Before I Buy!

Here are some I got this summer -- long list. Sorry the author isn't listed on them all, but maybe the call numbers will help you.

The seasonal flower grower : a calendar of monthly tasks for a beautiful and fragrant garden /
Call #635.953 EDW
Barcode:31978061161360

Cottage garden annuals : grown from seed for summer-long col
Call #: 635.9312
Barcode: 31978040658791

Christopher Lloyd's flower garden / photography by Steven Wo
Call #: 712.60942
Barcode: 31978027947092

Backyard bouquets : growing great flowers for simple arrange
Call #: 635.966
Barcode: 31978040390064

The cottage garden / Christopher Lloyd & Richard Bird ; phot
Call #: 635
Barcode: 31978044209906

The free-spirited garden : gorgeous gardens that flourish na
Call #: 635
Barcode: 31978044294585

The well-designed mixed garden : building beds and borders w
Call #: 712.6 DIS
Barcode: 31978055170419

P. Allen Smith's garden home / photographs by Jane Colclasur
Call #: 712.6 SMI
Barcode: 31978055238521

Salvage style for the garden : simple outdoor projects using
Call #: 717 MIL
Barcode: 31978056479439

Midwest cottage gardening / Frances Manos.
Call #: 635.9 M2856m
Barcode: 31978058936980

Country living : cottage gardens / by Toby Musgrave ; photog
Call #: 635 MUS
Barcode: 31978050629005

Wall plants & climbers / Ursula Buchan.
Call #: 635.974
Barcode: 31978027867555

Penelope Hobhouse's garden designs / Penelope Hobhouse in as
Call #: 712.6
Barcode: 31978038442802

Mrs. Greenthumbs plows ahead : five steps to the drop-dead g
Barcode: 31978040277386

The decorated garden room : interior design for your outside
Barcode: 31978040740029

The passionate gardener / Georgia Raimondi.
Call #: 635 RAI
Barcode: 31978044348811

English cottage gardening for American gardeners / text and
Call #: 712.6 HEN 2000
Barcode: 31978046924379

Ramblers, scramblers and twiners : high-performance climbing
Call #: 635.974 JEF
Barcode: 31978046964763

Garden, landscape, and project plans : 225 do-it yourself de
Call #: 712.6 GAR
Barcode: 3197805425350

Annuals with style : design ideas from classic to cutting ed
Call #: 635.9312 RUG
Barcode: 31978046186847

Creating a cottage garden in North America / Stephen Westcot
Call #: 635 WES
Barcode: 31978042967810

The seasonal flower grower : a calendar of monthly tasks for
Call #: 635.953 EDW
Barcode: 31978061161360

Suzy

Dave, I saw your post on the other thread and really want to re-read that book! I read it long ago, but would enjoy it all over again. Thanks for mentioning it.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I think it's my all-time favorite book for children (young and old)

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

surprisingly, I've never read it, Dave. and I used to devour books. I wonder if my granddaughters have it. if not, I'll look at one of the $1online bookstores.

great suggestions, everyone, particularly the library. I used to live a couple of blocks from a branch library and was there all the time. now it's gotten really inconvenient. but I read reviews and look here at bookworm and ask for suggestions (like this thread LOL). and you can buy online used in excellent condition. I am actually in book heaven today because I got a package yesterday with 17 gardening books (really a xmas present from DH, but he let me pick). I just mentioned the 2 on cottage gardening. I got some on house plants, water gardens, wildlife friendly plants.

others which may be of interest here

Gardening with Perennials Month by Month by Joeph Hudak (also has some lists of by other growing conditions; i.e shade lovers, moisture lovers, etc.

and some herb books

The Big Book of Herbs by Tucker & DeBaggio (I have wanted this for some time, this is Thomas DeBaggio of DeBaggio's Herb Farm in VA)
http://www.debaggioherbs.com/
Growing and Using Herbs and Spices by Milo Miloradovich
Basil by Janet Hazen (a tiny book, but I love basil...I bought a collection of basil seed from Park's sale)

Very impressive gift - you are probably in seventh heaven!!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.