How can I help my chameleon Houttuynia plant?

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

These have been planted for over a year and initially they did alright. The longer they have been in the ground, the thinner they have become.

Thumbnail by caganimalover
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Gosh,that's a good question. Wished I had that problem with mine.It's taken over in my yard. Wished I had never planted it.

P

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

They do like a lot of water and somewhat acidic soil. Which explains why they are terribly invasive farther east and unheard of in my neck of the woods. I have a small plant that is surviving, I believe I will be moving it to better soil soon.

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

Even though I have a soaker hose in the area (that has come to present problems so I use it seldom) I have decided that the soil in that area stays too dry and doesn't hold water (it is similar to ashes). I wonder about digging them up and ammending the soil in that area? Will I need to be careful of the roots when digging?

Another problem I have in that area; Poison ivy has emerged within inches of my plants. I have lived here for 20 years and NEVER has poison ivy been in that location before. Anybody have an idea how to erradicate the poison ivy without killing my chameleon Houttuynia plants?

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Poison ivy in TX?! It'll be in AZ next thing you know LOL I don't have answers for you, sorry, that stinks that you have poison ivy there, though.

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh yeah! We've got poison ivy all over. Some areas during the summer look like lush planting beds until you realize it is poison ivy. Hate the stuff and extremely hard to kill. A couple of years I was determined to finish it off. Bought a number of cans "Brush-b-gone" and sprayed almost the entire property of poison ivy. Stupid stuff still came back. AUGH!!!

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

That stinks!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hey Lynn we already have that here :o)

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

LOL You've got all the cool plants Marie :-)

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Sorry no Poison Ivy in my yard. (That is one thing I absolutely do not miss!!) Although I almost picked some to bring home while up in Sedona. (Luckily my brother saw a warning sign!!!)

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

LOL

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Yeah the blondeness does not go away with age :O) I really thought it was cool looking and completely forgot that the stupid stuff is here too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.