Build a grow light for about $21. I did!

Algonac, MI

Hello to All,

I have needed a grow light which would fit my budget and I made my own for waaaay less than commercial lights. I drew the diagram in ink and red pencil (hopefully the red will show in sending). I am also willing to send my creation to all of you who would like to make your own, especially to those of you who consider themself to be in the "talentless" crowd. IF it wasn't VERY easy, I could not have made it.

Unfortunately, I do not know how to send a scanned picture to this group, even though I do have a scanner-printer combo. Anyone who will assist me in sending my "artful" diagrammed instructions will be greatly appreciated. I do know how to send a photo to my Yahell email address.

My grow light stands 6' in height and 25" IDW x 18" D. I made it to fit around my Meyer Dwarf Lemon Tree. Should you (or anyone) want my plans, please help me to get the information to all or as many Dave's groups possible. This is a FREE-NO CHARGE OFFER.

Thanks!

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi Lostindian,
Scan the picture to your computer, Then on here, at each end of the message box there is a Image box with a browse button next to it... Click on the browse button, a choose file window will pop up. at the very top of it it say Look in (just click on the little arrow to the right of the window) its like the address bar in an internet window. Except it shows the things on your pc... find the file you scanned you picture to then double click on it and click on the picture and you then click preview or send.

Thats it. Your file (pic) will be uploaded to your post.
I hope you understood what I said :o)

Connie

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Here's an old thread with a light stand many of us made.
I'm still usinf mine.

Paul

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/182050/

Algonac, MI

Thanks Connie! Here is the Grow Light I made. Hopefully it is useful to others.

Thumbnail by LostIndian
Algonac, MI

About the cost of my grow light.... after seriously editing my project, I found a monetary mistake. You will have to add $1.18 to the total because I forgot to multiply the cost of 3 elbows instead of one, which I inserted into my cost-per column.

Anyway...it is still cheaper than what I have been able to find anywhere else.

THANKS AGAIN, Connie, for your superfast reply.

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

Great idea.......glad you posted the picture........now to get my son to make it...if not it looks simple enough for me to do one.......Thanks..Will let you know how mine turns out..!!

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Your welcome lostindian,

I am just glad you could understand what I was saying. lol
It does look pretty simple to make... Good Job ;-)

Connie

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

How do you actually attach the lights to the pvc?

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Hemlady, looks like with a chain to me?

Connie

Algonac, MI

Thanks for all of the replies.

I apologize for not explaining the attachment of the light to the frame with kite string. I wrapped it around twice and used scotch tape to keep it from slipping. The light will wander to one side due to the power cord, so I also tied it in a manner to secure it in a more straight line with my plant.

You could use some sort of thin wire if you have some available. On my next "creation", I will have wire available to hold the lamp more securely in place and I will drill a small hole on top of the upper tube to attach the wire to.

This is a VERY easy frame to make. It is so simple, even a Cave Man could do it. :->

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Great, thanks. I found two acquarium lights that I have so all I need is a frame of some sort.

Algonac, MI

Just a footnote on my grow light frame!

All one need do is alter the cutting lenghts in my diagram to increase or decrease the size to fit any realistic needs. One can also go to larger size pipe for any application needing more strenght.

The design can be made from lumber or steel, but I would not like to have to move those to another location; not with my back. ;-)

Algonac, MI

THANKS, paulgrow, for the hyperlink of your home made grow light production. I will build one for me come early next spring. Do you have any dimentions which will help?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.