Mizuho Beni Fall Color

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

My Mizuho Beni has very subtle and varied fall color. This one has been in a pot for three years now and gets lovelier each year. It is coloring up from the top down, the underneath leaves are still quite green. I should also say that like my crimson queen, this one got its leaf tips a tad scorched this year.

This message was edited Nov 12, 2006 11:57 AM

Thumbnail by largosmom
SW, OR(Zone 7b)

Are those the original spring leaves or is that a second set of leaves that where pushed to relace damaged leaves?

I am pretty sure these are the original spring leaves. We had a 2-3 week hot spell, in the high 90s and low 100s this summer, so the tips of the leaves were scorched some. Here is a pic from the spring. It got moved to a larger pot in the late summer/early fall.

The spring leaves are a creamy green with a hint of orange.

edited to add...just checked the earliest pics, no orange after all. Mistaken memory, lol!

This message was edited Nov 12, 2006 1:36 PM

Thumbnail by largosmom
Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Most of mine got MORE than a 'tad scorched" this year ...join the club!!!!! David

I feel better then...I didn't take pics during that period because I was so embarrased at how they looked. I now have a couple of months missing from the progression I was trying to document on my maples.

I was particularly embarassed at what happened to the Golden Full Moon...the leaves just fell off, no color at all! The buds seem healthy though. Maybe next year! Mizuho Beni had leaves on it here at the beginning of April, and seems to have a long season for me. Here it is next to my bloodgood baby, on April 4th, which had not even begun to open a bud.

Laura

Thumbnail by largosmom
Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Between the plaque of japanese beetles that hit some of my trees and the sun that scorched some and leaf tip burned others mine did not a pretty picture make by fall. with the exception of my shojo nomura, berrima bridge, scolopendrifolium, abigale rose, corona pigmy...and a few others ...even those in part to mostly shade were pretty well burnt ...David

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.