Identify this blue flowering vine?

Redondo Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Hi All,
I was on a walk today and spotted this beauty. Can someone please let me know the name botanical name?

Thank you!
Nancy

Thumbnail by happy_girl
Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Looks like Thunbergia grandiflora, Blue Sky or Clock Vine.

Larkie

This message was edited Nov 11, 2006 7:36 PM

Thank you so much Larkie!!

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Is it in the same family as Blk Eyed Susan vine? It is very pretty!

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8a)

I have one that is growing up a pine tree. It is probably 30 feet tall. You can't see many blooms on it, but it will die back when we have the first cold spell but will rebloom in the spring. Enjoy yours. Elaine

Thumbnail by Kamikid
Tempe, AZ

I love this vine, and think it is much underused in temperate areas. It grows well, has attractively lush foliage, and its flowers are second to none in beauty. In really rich soil, and without too much light, it gets a deep purple and rich gold. Mulch well, and be liberal with the well composted manure early in the season, and it will take off strongly. Does not like to get dry, or hot winds, but if you can keep it moist and well fertilized, it is a champ. Prevalent in HI, its just now gaining attention from growers from 8B and warmer. Scrambles and loosely twines, so needs support or it will form a nice, though amorphous, bunching on the ground.
Cant say enough good things about it.
DD

Thank you for the info! I'll have to look for it in HI as my parents live on the big island. I haven't seen it there yet but they are on the dry side by all the big resorts. The only issue I can see is that I'm running out of walls and railing for vines to spread out on!! Right now, I have Mandevilla spreading out on the railing of the deck upstairs and also along our patio fence downstairs.

I think the vine looks beautiful wrapped around your pine tree Kamikid! I only have two trees in the front and neither are good candidates for that. I guess I need DH to build some sort of pergola coming out from under the little deck upstairs...

Thanks,
Nancy

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Kamikid, so you have seed or do you have to grow it from cuttings? Will it grow well in partial shade? It is just beautiful!!! Love the color!
JanetS

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8a)

I was just looking at information on how to propagate this plant and it says from cuttings in warm weather. Well it's cool weather and I will cut some anyhow, and see if it will root in cool weather. Maybe if I put it in the house it may root. Maybe we can fool Mother Nature. If it does root do you want me to get some for you? It is very pretty and I'm sure it will freeze by Monday. I will be busy tomorrow in the yard taking some cuttings.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes, that would be wonderful! I am like you, it's worth a try...you never know till you give it try. Thanks so much for the kind offer...I will looking forward to hearing from you on whether it roots or not...I hope I am in my yard tomorrow too...I still have bulbs and iris to plant!

Mobile, AL

I, also admired this vine when visiting a friend. There was a huge harbor that was filled by this one and intertwined with what appeared to be Passiflora Incense. It was a huge harbor and absolutely gorgeous.

The friend gave me a cutting. I rooted it, and have since rooted many others.

The rooted cuttings went through the bottom of the pots and into the ground. It is not invasive, but the roots do seek space and need it.

It's one of many, many favorite vines. It dies down during the winter (still blooming now) and makes a quick recovery in the spring.

I agree that it is underutilized. You can put it just about anywhere. It doesn't seem to smother anything, and twines rather than clinging. You can cut it back, and it doesn't seem to care.

I love it!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.