Van Engelen & Scheepers Bulb Sale Starts November 13th

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, bulb fanciers--

I just received a phone call from Van Engelen's saying their End of Season Bulb Sale will start November 13th.

Here are their Website Links

http://www.vanengelen.com/

http://www.johnscheepers.com/

Have fun. t.

Thumbnail by tabasco
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Tabasco, thanks for the heads up. I have been checking their sites but the sale has not been listed. I am not on their priority call list... yet! I got a very nice order from them earlier this fall which I was very please with. I will have to get up early to get my order in before they are out of everything. Patti

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

EEK! Enablers!

I do NOT need more bulbs. I still have about 30 daffodils, 20 tulips, 50 crocuses, and 8 cloves of garlic to plant.

I think someone's sneaking more bulbs into my pile when my back is turned. I keep planting them, but I still seem to have the same amount.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

ooohh, that is earlier than B&B's sale last year at the end of November!

Do you know what the percent off will be, or will it vary according to the item?

Thanks!

Denver, CO

That's what I want to know. Shouldn't, but want to know.
B&B Started their 50% off the day after Thanksgiving last year.

No, I don't know--forgot to ask, but if I remember last year's pricing it wasn't as much as 40% off but their normal retail prices generally are a bit less than B & B I think.

I was checking around on the Scheepers' site for what was in stock and a lot is sold out.

I think if there is a bulb that a person 'covets' they had better make out their order form early and be ready to send it as soon as the Sale is listed!

My local garden center had all their bulbs at 40% off this weekend. Not the range of choices that B & B and VanEngelens offers, though.

There is still plenty of time to plant around here! Happy gardening! t.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I found my VanEngelens catalog and took it into the tub with me, thinking daffodils and peony-scented bubble bath would be a good antidote to this cold and rainy day. I didn't notice I'd been in the tub for an hour and a half until I realized the water was cold! LOL I thought you'd all appreciate how easy it is to get wrapped up in daffodil dreams.... :-)

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

LOL, I can identify with that!!! I love to look at those things...I always picture what they would be like in the garden...and I seldom order the ones I think would be awesome...it would take me forever to get the ten thousand I want planted! LOL What a nice way to spend a bath...dreaming of flowers..

Landisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

WHen will they post the sale prices????

Well, I just checked their website and it didn't list any sale yet. ---Don't know anymore than that.

---Although the cutstomer service number is (860) 567-8734 and they would be able to confirm for you (I think!) what the sale details are. (Although they are the ones who called me in the first place!)

I clicked around on the site and it seems like a lot is sold out.

Also, I wanted to post the Van Engelen's "Available Bulbs" link for anyone interested in knowing what was still on their shelves

http://www.vanengelen.com/pejtest/SALEHTML.HTM

Also, did you notice the nice list of sale bulbs on Touch of Natures DG Classified Ad? Very nice

prices.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/667443/

edited to add the "Availability" link for VanEngelen's

This message was edited Nov 13, 2006 4:15 PM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Dang, I was online after midnight, hoping for first crack at the sale. A lot is sold out, yes, but I still found plenty that I wanted. Their "availability" page says it was updated today, but no word of any sale. :-( Even without the sale, their prices are very good (as long as you like to get bulbs in larger lots). I guess I will see if I can get through to customer service this morning....

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I had to call VanEngelen to follow up on a matter and I took the opp. to ask them about the sale. I told her there were "gillions" of people at daves, glued to their computers, waiting....

She said they didn't finish their inventory count last night in time to update the websitenbut that all sale particulars would be posted by tonight. So, hang in there!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks!!! I'll keep checking.... LOL

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Vossner, I e-mailed them an hour ago, but had not heard back, yet. Thanks. I am fighting a bad cough & cold. I deserve a few more bargain bulbs to brighten up my thoughts. I got up briefly yesterday to pot up my amaryllis bulbs finally that you sent from the coop. I hadn't time to plant them when they first arrived as I had an unexpected and sad trip to make to visit a dear friend whose husband died in Maine. I may try to snag a couple more amaryllis. Patti

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Sorry to hear of your friend's loss, Patti.

They do have some nice amaryllis still in stock... I've got my eye on 'Fairy Tale', and I really want a 'Pasadena' for my mom since my folks first met on the train going to the Rose Bowl.

I guess we still don't know what their percentage off will be...

Arlington, TX

I called today too. Was told the same about inventory. The discount will be 20% and it is supposed to go up at midnight EST Tuesday morning. I went ahead and ordered some things because they magically found some of the giant ranunculus that I really wanted. Good thing I did, they are no longer on the list.
more patient now,
cynthia

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

LOL, thanks for posting that, Cynthia... I wasn't able to get through this afternoon, so I've been checking for updates on the site every hour, tapping my toes with anticipation!

Twenty percent is fine with me, especially with their prices already so nice and low....

I'll be up late!

Arlington, TX

You are most welcome...what's on your list? I've decided to try Camassia this year and my DH is certain we need more daffs. I'm going for the pink mix, Arkle and Rijnveld because here Rij blooms in Jan our dreariest month.

Have you tried the allium Schubertii? I did last year and loved them. When they dry on the stem, they still look like giant sparklers in the garden and those seed heads last a long time.

OK I'll stop enabeling now.
cynthia

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

*whew* I don't think we'll be trying to order the same ones at midnight! I was considering the Schubertii, but I definitely want more of the Allium albopelosum, aka A. christophii... They have a similar loose "fireworks" appearance, and I still have a couple of dry seed heads out there from the, I think it was 5 bulbs I got last year just to try.

They sold out of a couple of the amaryllis I was wanting this afternoon, but there are a couple I still might try for... love that double miniature one, 'Fairy Tale'!

I'm really hoping for 'Ice Follies' daffs because I designed this bed with yellow daffs in back and bicolors in front... and unforunately the bloom times don't work out, so I need an earlier-blooming bicolor to put in the front part. Hmmm, perhaps I should also think about a later-blooming yellow one for the back... wonder if 'Yellow Cheerfulness' is still in stock...

DH never minds if I buy more daffs... they're his favorite flower!

I've got a good spot in the front garden for a bunch of Iris ret. 'JS Digit', maybe some Scilla or Muscari to fill in a few gaps...

I'm trying to limit myself to bulbs for just a couple of garden areas, otherwise I'll end up ordering 50 for this bed and 100 to put under that tree and so on until I've got an over-budget order both in terms of $ & planting time!

LOL, are we having fun yet?

Arlington, TX

We're having fun while we wait

I have several Fairy Tale still waiting for pots. I have a striped variety in my garden that really multiplied in the last 4 years. This spring, there were 13 flower stalks and if I'm correct, it's FT. So good for you!

Ice follies is one of our favorties and it does well here. Don't you just love the way they glow in moonlight?
c

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

My MIL has a nice bed of 'Ice Follies' that she has loved for years... but we've never been visiting while they were in bloom, so I'm not sure I've seen them in person! But DH likes them. :-) And I think they'll work well in that bed... they seem to be described as one of the earlier daffs... do they bloom early-mid daff season for you?

If I don't score a trio of Fairy Tale tonight, I'll be Dmailing you about a trade! LOL. I've got some little offsets from my bulbs too... some have become separated from their mother bulbs, so I won't know what they are until they grow up and bloom, but I'm pretty sure I have 'Blossom Peacock' and 'Philadelphia' labeled correctly... I'm trying to keep a running list of the named amaryllis I've purchased so I have a shot at IDing them when they bloom... somehow my garden tags just don't stay with those bulbs in the summer! (We have to lift amaryllis in fall, here.) Oh, and I wrote above that FT was a double, but on second look I think it's a single bloom.... LOL... it just looked so much like a little 'Blossom Peacock' with that white stripe!

I was also drooling over the photo of H. 'Amalfi' and wondering if I'd be able to resisit 'Red Peacock' if it's still available.

Maybe I should decide on a $ limit before midnight... nah!! ;-)

Arlington, TX

Well, it looks like they didn't make the midnight deadline and I'm heading off to bed. You may definitely have a bulb from my "fair tale" I'll bet they still have some for you. Last year VE didn't put the 'ryllis on sale....but B&B did!

OK one more peek at their site before I head to sleep
good luck
c

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yah, I was on just now too... boo hisss.... LOL, just let them post those sale prices, and all will be forgiven!

I think B&B still has a few of their South African bulbs in stock, too. I got some fabulous ones from them last year... bought 10 for abut $3 each to pot up and give as gifts to neighbors, etc... they didn't bloom true (were supposed to be Pink Impression and most turned out to be Appleblossom), but everyone was so thrilled with them anyway that I saw no point in complaining.

Good night!

Arlington, TX

I just called VE and the apologetic man who answered the phone said this: "I just came in and was told the sale isn't going to happen today." I said "again when will it be?" He said he didn't know and I could tell in his voice he was preparing for another day of apologies for something he had no control over.
errrrrr, maybe I'll take another look at Sam's
cynthia

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Sheesh!

I was a little annoyed to discover they'd updated their inventory an hour ago and still hadn't posted the sale.

Yep, a little scouting around town does seem in order.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I actually was looking at getting something from JS, but I didn't know they had a minimum $ order and ordered from bulbmeister's instead - it was on sale there too.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

OK, so what's up with this? The home page has changed slightly... they've removed the link to the "availability list," and now the "web specials" link has an amaryllis collection on it... But still no sale announcement!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I just got through to a customer service rep who said definitely, absolutely the sale would be posted tomorrow morning at 8 am.

I will believe it when I see it, LOL. If the ones I'm after are sold out by then, well, I'll be able to get an earlier start on my holiday baking!

Jeez--sorry for all the false expectations! I didn't know there were so many DGers out there still enthusiastic about more bulb planting! LOL

I can't wait to see the pics of all the spring gardens next April!

Good luck on the sale shopping!

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Just placed my order. Thank you, Tabasco, for posting this site. I wouldn't have known about the sale, otherwise.

Good thing I bought today, and didn't wait until the sale tomorrow...even something that showed in stock on the website, had run out. She called to ask if I wanted to substitute anything.

I then asked about the availability of the fritillaria and lily I had ordered, and there were only a couple bulbs of each, left.

Had I waited until tomorrow, all three things I wanted would have been gone...

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Well, dang. I may be sorry I tried to hold out... but I figure any that I miss I can order next year before the sale and get them in earlier. Or maybe I'll just place a quick call.... LOL.

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

It is really better to call, since she had some things on HER computer that showed a couple left, while the internet showed out.

On the flip side of that, some still showed in stock, but they'd not been able to remove it fast enough from the website, before some had already ordered it.
-T

Arlington, TX

I agree, better to talk to a person and know that during the sale even the people get confused about what's in and where it's going. I ordered a few things Monday for the same reason you did, Seedpicker.

Today, I went to a different Sam's and left empty handed. I still want those pink daffs and some unusual alliums.

I confess, if they happen to post the sale tonight at midnight (11 my time) I'll order online. If not, I'll call at 7 my time, 8 theirs and talk to aperson.
cynthia

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

The person I talked to this afternoon said they open at 8:30 am and that the sale would be posted on their web site by 8 am.

You can have the pink daffs, but leave some 'Ice Follies' for me! LOL

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Woohoooo! Sale prices are in effect over at VanEngelen! They didn't post details on the end-of-season sale page yet, but the prices reflect a 20% reduction. Amaryllis were not reduced, alas.

I'm *snoopy dancin'* because nearly everything that I was after was still in stock. I resisted ordering more amaryllis, since they weren't reduced (and I really don't need to buy them three at a time)... but I made up for it by ordering a few lilies that weren't really on my list earlier today. LOL.

I got the 'Ice Follies' daffs that I wanted, and I got some Iris reticulata (I think 'Gordon' will look neat with Crocus 'Tricolor' that are coming from bloomingbulbs, and I wanted more 'JS Digit' since my little clump of them seems to bloom with most of my daffs in front). I loved the way 'Eye of the Tiger' iris bloomed in concert with my Penstemon smallii (thank you, Gerris!) last spring, so I had to have a few more of those for another bed. I also got the 'Woodstock' hyacinths that I fell in love with in Philly this spring (might get some more of those if they're still in stock when B&B has their sale... the clearance price was nearly the same as B&B's regular price, but I could buy just 25 of them). I added a few Allium christophii (albopelosum on their site) and A. schubertii, and I picked up some light colored Muscari 'Superstar' to brighten my "river" (ok, it's a rivulet) of grape hyacinths that meanders along the front border.

Hmmm, I just checked my print-out, and I'm missing 'Eye of the Tiger'... must have dropped it out of my cart somehow... oh well, guess my fingers were flying too fast! I didn't want those daffs to sell out while I was typing, LOL.

I suppose I could try calling in the morning to add them to my order... or I could figure that I've done enough damage... :-)

*whew!* I'm going to bed and dreaming of spring!!

Wow! Looks like some serious sale shopping!

I. of course, went to check to see if the sale was on yesterday and ended up buying a dozen Amaryllis NOT on sale, of course! Which I had no intention of purchasing. So the 'sale' worked in favor of Van Engelen in my case!

Oh, well. I'm going to use the Amaryllis for little Christmas presents.

Arlington, TX

I just called mine in. Went for some Dutch Iris too...the Oriental. Added some of the allium's critter pointed out. (I'd read about christophi, so this was perfect) Got 2 different camassia AND my pink mix daffs, arkle daff for dear husband....he likes them really big. and the Rijnveld for daff flowers in late January here.

Oh, I also went for the Chinese trumpet lilies.

Now, my card is retired until next year or at least until B&B put their amaryllis on sale in 2 weeks

cynthia

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

hahaha, I couldn't resist after all... I just called them to the add 50 Dutch Iris that had fallen out of my cart somehow, and "while I was there" LOL I also added 25 mixed oriental lilies (less than $1 per incl. shipping).

I got 10 more A. christophii, so now I'll have 5 clumps of 3 rather than the 5 singles I planted last year to try. At cynthia's recommendation (don't you love how we enable one another!), I also got 5 A. schubertii! Somehow, I'm not a big fan of the allium with the tight globes of flowers (too formal for me), but I love these -- they look like fireworks!

I wonder if either of those varieties self-sow or otherwise increase well? I'd love to be able to share a few around in future.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Thanks again Tabasco for the information. I ordered a mess of lilies (including Red Hot, in honor of Tabasco) and narcissus golden echo and muscari ambrosiacum. I was impressed that they called me after I placed the order for one lily that had sold out. Nice people. Patti

So, finally, here is the link to the Van Engelen Sale Page!

http://www.vanengelen.com/pejtest/SALEHTML.HTM

Better hurry!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.