So tell us how many HOSTA you added this year!!!!

Cape May Court House, NJ(Zone 7a)

I am afraid to count how many I REALLY bought this year so maybe if I see who else
spent their grocery and mortgage money on Hosta I wont feel so bad!! LOL

sue

Dallas, TX

I know I bought over a hundred ... and they all were labled. but after my move to a new location, I will probaly run another "please identify me" thread.. lol

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

I will figure it out one of these days and maybe I will fess up and tell you.

ROFLOL

It is a lot I'm afraid.
Susan
=^..^=

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Too many, but not near enough. LOL

Close to 100. I know, I know, but I have no regrets because they make me happeeeeeee.

Sandy

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

About 50. About half of those were plugs from the coop though. Between the snails and zone 9, we'll see how many of them come up next year.

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

Sue, I received Naylor Creeks catalog yesterday. there goes my christmas money. there are some really nice new ones. Terpsichore, Cherry Tart, Dancing Queen, Ginsu Knife. Jim

Dallas, TX

Jim I received Ginsu Knife as a gift.... I cant wait to see its performance. I would love to compare notes with you. :)

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

I think all toll we bought 15. I am pretty satisfied with what I have and in time I may replace some with others. My lort is 75 by 300. Part of it is too sunny for hosta although about 2/3 of it set under a canapy for 100 ft high oaks and a couple smaller hickory. We are going to buy a few more minni's but there will not be much more added. I think a lot more of them would be to much to take care of right. I have only lost one hosta ever and that was a Cherry Berry. I have another one now in a pot and even today when i went to move them against the wall of the house for winter it is still sprouting new growth.

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

City-Sylvia, I'll have lots of notes to share with you, and everyone on the hosta forums this year on new purchases, along with germinating my 06 hybrids. I'm trying to add only Hostas that will be useful in hybridizing. but then I see some sport that is attractive and have to have it. do you have Plantaginea? I would like to get some pollen from someone this summer. it doesn't bloom here. I used gel capsules to store pollen from several plants. last summer and it worked really well. Jim

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

Jim,

I have plantaginea and wouldn't mind nabbing some pollen for you next year. Remind me. I have a brain like a steel trap NOT lol

I am looking forward to your note sharing. You always seem to have some good info. Thanks.

Lani

Hi Sue!

WB I am afraid to count how many I bought this year. I only bought three locally and the rest were from co-ops , Bleek, BentleyGardens and Ebay. I also got a few from trades and the nice gift from you and another hosta friend sent me several. All in all I think I got over 120 this year.

I do know that I bought a ton of new pots so they are all potted in similar pots with plenty of room to grow bigger. The biggest ones I planted in the ground and will move a bunch of them to the back yard in the spring after we get that fixed up for them. I can't wait for my first real hosta garden expansion to happen. Finally have more trees that are providing enough shade from our hot summer sun.

Lani

Dallas, TX

No jim I dont have Plantigenia... but its on my list.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

About 40 were new here. More than doubled the number I have. I think I have more space than Sylvia and I'm running out of space - so how do you do as many as you have?

Ann

Dallas, TX

In pots... most of the ones I ordered last year were minis.

Lula, GA

I got about 65 new ones, purchased and thru trades!

Jim, I saved some plantaginea pollen; it's in my freezer, along with my seeds. I will D-mail you!

I din't even know I had plantaginea, so I begged one from a friend this last May. The one that bloomed was at least 5 years old and had been neglected!!! Not any more!! The flowers are as long as my hand!!!

Sylvia, glad to hear from you!! Ya had us worried there for a while! Minis are the greatest and in pots, they are too precious!!!! I am putting together a presentation on mini hostas and companion plants in dish gardens, for a program that our Extension Service does every Spring, through the Master Gardeners.

Brenda

Thumbnail by wholyhosta
Bettendorf, IA

Oy - I don't know that I really want to know this! Every single one that I have. I have 68 varieties now and several of those in multiples so somewhere around 100 I guess. YIKES!!!!!

Dallas, TX

Ohhh that plantiginia is Hot on my want list!

Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

I'd say approx 70 hostas came to live in my garden this year from various sources. I couldn't really figure out what I spent on hostas alone but when I tallied up my 2006 garden center receipts for all plant purchases, I felt a little sick,lol.
buries head in hands and wonders what has become of my thrifty spending habits

Sure was fun though,
Erynne

Avon, NY(Zone 5b)

My total is just about 100 give or take a few, between trades and those I purchased. I am really hoping to cut back a little this year , since I still have approx 50 of those that never got planted and now overwintering in the barn. I need to put the $$ into some other garden projects this year and really get my gardens in order. My garden beds are getting full and started preparing one this fall, but really need to purchase truck load of compost/soil and then more mulch ect.. Also I want to add some stone paths and patio and a small pond. I also need to invest in some garden tools ect..But that said I already placed an order with White Oak and just recieved my Naylor's catalogue and the temptation is already tormenting me.LOL

Elaine

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

I think I bought about 40 new hosta, give or take 5 or so... I need to concentrate next spring on getting my beds in order and cool the jets a bit. :)

Diann

Bettendorf, IA

Yep - I don't plan to buy nearly as many next year. I just had to jump start filling a HUGE empty but prepped space!

I got the 2007 Naylor Creek catalog today. I will buy almost all minis next year.

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Oh No! It has begun already.....drooling over the catalogs for next year.

I have no idea how many hostas I bought this year, but it was wayyyyy tooooo many. There are just too many enablers on DG, and I swear that I am not going back to eBay for plants again. I've already told Kelly to just slap me up the side of my head if I start hosta shopping like crazy again. I only got about half of this year's purchases permanently planted. The other half have been planted in their pots in the ground at the edge of the lawn. (In a very well protected area and will be well mulched.) I'll just pull them out in the Spring, and it will feel like I've already been shopping.

Lula, GA

Darn,

I'm already shopping for next year!!

NC catalog came yesterday, and yep, I'm up to about $150 already!! They have the largest selection of Epimediums I've ever seen, also!!

Newbies- Naylor Creek is a great place to order your hostas for next year. They send multieyed plants or several divisions of the hosta you order. Hallson's is another good one!

(Sorry, just had to do my part for the cause!!) lol!

Brenda

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

All I can say say is thank gawd I live across the border and all those wonderful nurseries down there are out of bounds!

Sandy

I would like to mention that Kelly will be no help what so ever in keeping me from buying too many hostas. She just called me to let me know that the Naylor Creek Catalog had arrived and she knew that there was a hosta that I hadn't been able to find last year that is in it. And then there is the free shipping, and early-bird specials.....etc., etc., etc. What's a hostaholic to do?

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Marie, I say you give up hostas all together and just go out next spring, dig up all you currently have (and maybe some of Kelly's for good measure) and send them down to me! :) Helpful, aren't I? :)

Diann

Diann........Nice try. I'm not out of lawn yet, and most of it is in the shade.

I did take a moment to try and figure out how many hosta cultivars I added this year. I did find one list from May 15, 2005. At that time I had 35......now I have 195 different cultivars. Keep in mind, that I have a couple of borders of 20 or more plants of the same variety, and others I like so much that I've gotten more than one. I also like to experiment by planting the same variety under different growing conditions to see how differently they turn out.

Darn it if I'm not drooling over the new offerings at NC. Only 6 more months until Spring.

I guess all these post's make me feel a bit better so I went and added up my 2006 list and came up with 114 total for the year. That's not too bad I really thought it was more!

Now the Total (different) Hosta in my garden is 576!!! YIKES, my obsession has NOT stopped!!!!

As for 2007, the Naylor Creek catalog arrived yesterday and there are 16 in there that I REALLY NEED, so I guess the 4 kids will just not be getting much for Xmas this year! LOL

sue

Bad mommy Bad. LOL

I wish the darned fuel and medical bills weren't as bad as they are this year so I could indulge in NC's offers. Hmmmm wonder if my DH would notice that I had pawned his table saws?

Lani

Waaaaaahhhh, where is MY Naylor Creek catalog???????????

I want a catalog, I want a catalog, I want a catalog.....

Susan
=^..^=

Susan you will probably get your's today, if not here is the link and it looks to me like they have added the 2007 info to it!

Check out Scallion Pancakes,Madam and Cold Heart just for starter's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://naylorcreek.com/main/a.html

sue

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

ok here we go
the co-ops!!!!

daybreak
sum n sub
Prairie Sky
Pandora's Box
American Halo
Fantabulous
Frosted Jade
Guardian Angel
Hope
Jewel of the Nile
Mississippi Delta
Deep Blue Sea
Cutting Edge
Spilt Mik
Queen of the Seas
praying hands
Thunderbolt
Shazaam
Ann Kulpa
First Mate
Velvet Moon
cracker crumbs
Mack the knife
Inniswood
bridegroom
Royal Flush
miss tokyo
popcorn
Blue Mouse Ears
Brother Stefan
Dark Shadows
Dragon's Tails-
Fire Island-
High Society
Marilyn Monroe-
Rainforest Sunrise-
Surprised by Joy
Teeny Weeny Bikini-
Warwick Comet
Blue Hawaii
Baby Bunting
chartreuse wiggles-
A Many Splendored thing
Arc De Triomphe
Ice Cream
Manhattan
Spring Fling
Royal Flush
St Paul

HALLSONS
Hosta 'Pineapple Upsidedown Cake'
Hosta 'Woolly Mammoth'
Hosta 'Earth Angel'
lakesie el roy bonus

oh and i did buy some for spring
i know love pat was one and forgot the others
Just know they are blue ones

Susan----- I have mine close to a week. He He HEe Ha Ha Ha.

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

Naylor sends a catalog? I am in BIG trouble.

I received a plantaginea in the trade this spring and was absolutely amazed at the size of the blooms! I have a pic like yours with the flower as long as my hand. Beautiful hosta.

Laura

Bettendorf, IA

How do you get their catalog? I have only bought from them off eBay - think I will still get one??

OK Oz, rub it in............

Susan
=^..^=

Susan---- someone mentioned free shipping for early bird orders at Naylor Creek but I cannot find anything about such a offer this year on either their site are the catalog.

Anyone seen anything about the Early Bird offer. ????

Avon, NY(Zone 5b)

OZ,
The info was on a cover sheet that came with the catalogue.
Free freight on orders of $100.00 or more placed by 1/15/07..just write early bird special

added bonus
Place an order for $200.00 or more by 12/15/06 and deduct 10% from the cost of the order. This is in addition to the free frieght above, but date must be adhered to

They are also offering 15% off gift certificates (100.00 min) ordered before 1/15/07

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

Oh Boy! I was new to collecting Hostas this year. I had a couple that I bought about 3 years ago but went bonkers this year. Can we say shameful. Hee Hee!
How about 97

Abbey
Alex Summers (M)
Angel Feathers
Antioch
August moon (L)
Big Daddy (L)
Birchwoods Parky’s Gold
Blessingham Blue (L)
Blue Angel (G)
Blue Boy
Blue Cadet (S)