Gray Rat Snake

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

My son caught this gray Rat Snake in his house.

Thumbnail by trois
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

ewwww what did he do with it? Glad not my house.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

What a cool snake trois! I like his markings..

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

He is feeding it grasshoppers so far. It is pretty small.

Springville, AL(Zone 7a)

Beautiful snake, great pix!!!

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

The snake seems to have been tamed already, and appears to like being handled. I don't know how long they plan to keep it. It is neat looking though.

trois

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Yeah Trois~
Either that or because it is young it is more trusting. They like clinging onto 98.6, they gravitate toward warmth.

My 8 yr old Ben is sitting here admiring him too!

:-D

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

It definately likes to snuggle up on warm skin.
My two grandkids like it a lot.

Thumbnail by trois
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I would totally freak out

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Why? They are not slimey and don't smell. Just a clean, beautiful creature. Venomous snakes are not the same though.
I do understand though. My father was afraid of only one thing, snakes. It seems to be programmed in to some folks.

trois

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

The only thing I would be even slightly concerned about is salmonella.. Be sure the kidos wash with anti-bacterial soap after handling him, which I am sure you already thought of. You can get live crickets at the pet stores in case you need a few extra bugs. (Just a thought).

;-)

This message was edited Nov 13, 2006 10:56 AM

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

They already buy the crickets for other things. They know to wash, probably don't always.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Alrighty then..
When the kids wanted to bring in Pink Geckos, that was the main thing. I'm not squeamish about the critters can see at all.

What other things do they have that eat Crickets?

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Toads.

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

Trois cool snake

I agree with levilyla though glad it was not in my house not matter how small LOL

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Did your mother teach you to fear snakes? It's OK, better than getting bit.

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

Not sure she had too they always scared me although you may be surprised to here I have held on more than one occasion a snake about 12 feet long a python-- a friend breeds them. The one I had on my neck once was an Albino really neat looking.

I will try to find his website he may have a picture of it.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Then there is hope for you. You survived.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Anne....when on earth did YOU hold a 12 foot snake??? and here you were afraid to go out of your kitchen door when the black snake was in the bird house.

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

LOL I held the snake a few times when out at Pete's snake house! Can you believe it LOL wierd and creepy but actually the bigger they were the slower they moved and Pete was right there to take it off me !

http://www.pkreptiles.com/contact/

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

They still have the snake and are feeding it pinks. It seems very happy.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

A regular pet now, is he trois?... Feeding pink what?

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

"pinks" they sell at the pet store to feed snakes. Baby rats, I think.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

omg I would rather not have had that information

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Sorry.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

LOL...I was over reacting Trois....I know they eat them. Have to eat something right?

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

I guess that's what snakes do. Cottonmouths, on the otherhand, are the only snakes I have observed eating roadkill, already dead critters. I wouldn't recomend them as pets though.
LOL

trois

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

Ewww again! LOL

Lakeland / Memphis, TN(Zone 7a)

Interesting trois. My DH raises Florida Gray Rat snakes. The Rat snakes that are native to us, are not pretty once they are grown. Do you know what your native rat snake looks like ? This baby is pretty now, but may not grow up to be as pretty. The reason my husband likes the Florida rats are because they stay lighter in color even after grown. His large breeding pair are about 5' long and the male even has some red outlines in his pattern. Pretty snakes. None of his rat snakes are aggressive - except maybe the leusistic females.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

The only large ones I see here are black. I will try a Google.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Google says the color will fade a bit. I guess we will see.

trois

Lakeland / Memphis, TN(Zone 7a)

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Will do. Thanks.

trois

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

When I saw the question asked, as to what 'pinks" are...I wanted to quickly jump in, and say, you don't want to know, I wasn't fast enough...sorry!
Trois, have you looked at the pictures from Wichita Mountains?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Not sure that I would notice if a pet that grew on me would seem ugly, lol.

ooOO A snake is a snake though, usually considered wild, so I guess anything can happen when they mature, even ugliness. hehe

It has been almost 2 weeks since you took that picture trois, I wonder if his coloring has changed any. Can you take another one this week?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

It's the thought that counts melva, thanks! :-)

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

I just looked at them. Now I am homesick!

Great pictures. I was watching in the photos forum.

trois

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.