Kinglets

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

Have you ever tried to photograph the Ruby-crowned Kinglet ? They flit from branch to branch faster than one can say "Dave's Garden". And then, is it a Ruby-crowned Kinglet or a Golden-crowned Kinglet ? There are some subtle differences but I am always amazed by some birders announcing that a flock of Ruby-crowned Kinglets just flew over, 100 feet overhead. I rarely know which one I saw until I view my photos. And, a few weeks ago, I spent 45 minutes taking photos of the Ruby-crowned Kinglet before I got a photo with the ruby crown exposed.

While hunting with a weapon, one must first identify their target and then shoot. With the camera, one has the luxury of shooting first and identifying later. Click away, you never know what you might see ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Note the very small patch of red on the crown. Most of my photos were void of any ruby or red ...

Thumbnail by linthicum

The Golden-crowned Kinglet ....

Thumbnail by linthicum
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

WOW! They are awesome! Love the vibrant colors in the muted feathers. The feathers look so soft. Just beautiful! I've never seen anything like that. Thanks for sharing them!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Nice linth!
Those are really sweet, and excellent snapping away there too! ...(I do it too), snap snap snap, look later, haha. One of my sissortail pics had an extra one right below it when I took it to the download. My eyes aren't as good as they used to be, the camera keeps me from missing so many things. DH is still deciding which new one to get me for my bday the first:o). I''m on the edge of my seat!

Northern, IN

You blow me away, linth.

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Isn't is wonderful to share photos like that? Thanks.
It is my hope to document all my feathered visitors this way. I am gifted with new species each season, and marvel at the wonder of it. I don't recall such pleasure when living in town, or before digital cameras came into my life.
Beautiful images!

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

this pic sent me to my bird book, the name didn't even ring a bell. Nice pic , yes it's harder than most people think to get a good shot of a bird or butterfly.

Blytheville, AR(Zone 7a)

Gorgeous pictures and you are an excellent photographer. It would be fun to follow you around and watch you work. Thanks for sharing with us. Sheverne

Marlton, NJ

Great shots!!!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

where were they hanging out? I know I have them around my yard, my cat brought me a live one.
Awesome photos.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Here's the European version (Goldcrest Regulus regulus)

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin

Thank you all for your comments.

tigerlily, in 2005, I set an objective to photograph as many resident Maryland birds as I could. I've got a long way to go but I have over 90+ different photographed species thus far. I do have them in a gallery at the following link if you are interested. http://www.pbase.com/linthicum

sallyg, this time of year they are pretty much everywhere. The Ruby crowned Kinglet photos were taken at Terrapin Park in Stevensville, MD (just across the Bay Bridge). Here are a couple of Golden-crowned Kinglets taken yesterday at Centennial Lake in Howard County. Living in Millersville, do you ever visit Kinder Park ? That is an excellent location to see a lot of birds.

Resin, nice photo of the Goldcrest.

Thumbnail by linthicum

Another ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

And, another ...

Thumbnail by linthicum
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Yes, I've been on a few bird walks at Kinder. It's a nice place. Too bad they don't have a birder ranger based there at the moment. I'll probably have to look for Nolly Fisher at Downs Park for a local walk.

Missouri City, TX(Zone 9a)

Those are the cutest little birds- like they walked out of a children's book!

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

OMG, Charlie, I visited your photo site. Absolutely stunning!!!!! I see you have a D70, I have a D50 and still don''t know anything but the basics.........are you for hire as an instructor?? :>), no really....

Lakeland, FL

GREAT JOB !! on the Kinglets...awesome .

Northern, IN

Welcome to the fast growing fan club.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

linth, thanks for featuring a bird I seldom hear about, much less see such an interesting pic of it! Nice shot of the crown.

I didn't know much about them so I googled for Cornell's write up on the ruby-crowned kinglet:

FYI http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Ruby-crowned_Kinglet_dtl.html

I suppose since they eat insects, they don't generally come to backyard feeders which might explain why I never see them. Linth--do they come to your feeders? Just wondering....

Thanks again everyone for your kind comments. I have not seen any Kinglets the last few times that I have been out in the field. So, I assume that I was able to photograph them on their brief stop-over on their migratory trip farther south.

venue209, I'm glad you enjoyed my gallery of photos. I really don't qualify as an instructor since I'm still learning the tricks of the trade. Just practice, practice, practice ....... you can teach an old dog new tricks. I know !!!

tabasco, I have never seen any Kinglets near my bird feeder. They can be seen on conifers quite frequently during migration (in my area) and as you indicated are looking for caterpillars, aphids or other insects.

You all have a happy holiday season !!!

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Great pictures!! You've sure made it easy to see why they have the commons names they do...

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks again linthicum! You have a great holiday too!

Warm here next few days an unseasonal 70ish for the highs. So I have been birding a lot lately.:-)

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

I've tried to get a shot of the ruby crown for years. Good for you!! Love the golden-crowned pics, too. We had a fat bluebird and a sharp shinned hawk pose right near the windows at different times this weekend but by the time I got my camera, they were gone!

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Hi linthicum - I echo everyone else's sentiments. Your photos and web site are AWESOME!! (I grovel at your shrine lol!) I almost fell off my chair laughing at your photos with sentiments album. You could make a fortune if you made note cards from those. I would be first on the list to order some sets!

I am making a resolution right now to get to know my camera better this winter. :-)

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Linthicum, have always admired your photographic artistry, and even more now after looking at your gallery. Enjoyed the bird comments too. Very good.

Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.