Pet coffins and urns. Anyone doing these?

vancouver, Canada

I've been asked to make a concrete coffin for a friend who recently lost her doggie companion of 14 years.
She wants a container that she can remove if she moves so I'm doing a coffin that will actually look much like a stepping stone in her yard. She wants a nice design/picture on the lid that is beyond my ability.
So I suggested she have another artistic friend create the lid mold in a sheet of wax I'll provide and then I will cast the concrete lid from that.

I love casting from wax because it's easy to carve and endlessly reusable.
She has place the wee dog in his bed in a sleeping position in a box in her freezer because she can't bury him until spring.

I'm doing a simple 22" round coffin (like a doggy bed) but making a coffin or urn in the profile of a cat or dog is easy using blue styrofoam. I haven't done it but I have done a maple leaf shaped mold.

If I'm still here when done I'll post a picture. The woman doing the lid carving is very talented, I can hardly wait to see what she brings me to cast.

This thread has 3 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!