November's daily weather 2006, Part II

(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

Sally and Sharon - nice photos :-)

It's partly cloudy, the sun just broke through the clouds so there's a bit of sunshine at the moment. Temps just above freezing I think although my thermometer says around 35 (to lazy to open the temp converter - it's 3°C). It's calm at the moment and still a bit of snow left on the ground :-) Very nice day! There was a monster of a snow storm up north last night - haven't heard of much damage or trouble. I think everything that could possibly fly off went in the first storm or was secured so there were less problems with the second one and probably this third one too - probably a lot of closed roads though due to snow I imagine.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Oh billy, you supplied my new background with your trees. Rann the concert picture is an award feat!
I am really enjoying the drift of post here and feel like I am amongst old friends when I read here.
It actually warmed up in the night last night. Was 38º when I got off at 5:30 this morning.
I am submitting my Safety Officer Resume' this evening. Pray folks, pray!!!!!!!!!
Sidney

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Good morning Rannveig- 46.6°(F) 73% here The temp is on the up-swing may get pleasant today - when I was in Alaska I experienced your temps and do not envie you them.

This message was edited Nov 14, 2006 8:42 AM

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Envoy???LOL
;)

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Sugar you know I mean ! Ok so I can't spell!

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning All! it's a cloudy 44*...the temp's actually gone up a tad.

Blooms & Dyson, I rarely even eat store tomatoes (hate the "no taste"). And on the rare occasion we go out to eat, I pick them out of my salad.
Sharon, yer right! No problem whem the lil feller was little. He started getting like that when he was about 14 or 15.
Sally, Cael sure Is a cutie.....I'd bet he stays busy all the time! Garrett was like that & still is. :-)) No lazy child there! (or here)

LOL! Dyson! & the "j" is not really close to the "v"! ~ That's OK I have brain farts myself, at times! See, there? I just had one! :-D

Joey

This message was edited Nov 14, 2006 8:44 AM

Thumbnail by music2keep
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

It was a nice photo, wasn't it! I feel we're all getting to know one another too, and I enjoy sharing in everyone's life.

Prayer sent for you, and a little added for everyone I've '' talked'' to on Dave's!

Edited to add, Yes, he's busy. I consider myself active, but I forgot the meaning of the word, LOL. I see why they say grandkids keep you young. You learn to run all over again.

Love the green leaves in the brown leaves.

This message was edited Nov 14, 2006 7:40 AM

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Good morning! It's drizzely and gray. Temp is 41 going for a high of 53. Gonna go downhill from there and heavy rain is on the way tomorrow.....look out all those to the east...it's headed your way too.

Nice pictures everyone. Love seeing how winter arrives in different areas. My leaves are just about all off the trees...some oaks are hanging on to theirs and a few stubborn others here and there, but essentially, they're gone.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/670155/#top

There's the link to my Pet Portraits weekend. We raised $500 for the Easter Seals Center. I'll be adding photos later today doo, so check back if you want to see more.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Sidney! Good luck on that Resume! Wow 'em! I will keep fingers & toes crossed & Pray! (hint: the last will work the best) ;)

Joey

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

57.2°(F), 71%, I love the wx here. And the lake is nice to look at also.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Melody, your pictures are exellent! Are you a professional photographer?

(Zone 5a)

Great photos melody - thanks for the link :-)

Sidney best of luck to you! Sure hope all goes well :-)

Dyson - sounds like a pleasant day ahead :-) I don't envy me of these temps either - it's pretty cold and getting colder..... but then again nothing like the frigid temps Kiska's been having so I can't really complain. And I just saw George Michael in concert (did I mention that ? ) so life is good :-D lol

There's still a bit of snow left on the ground here and there from last night. The Sorbus reducta berries have turned a pretty pink color that goes very well with the snow :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Well aren't those pretty.

I only see George Michael on old MTV shows, but I think life is pretty good too! Have a happy day!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Love those pink berries!

I'm sorta of a semi-pro photographer. I've made money from some photography, but not enough to even begin to support my habit. I don't do it as a business ....actually, I'm more of an artist, working with images for the sake of creativity. Dr. Paul, (the vet) asked me a couple of years ago if i could help him out with the pet photography idea, and that's how it all began.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Rann - who is George Michael? I know I should know but don't have a clue - the advantages of advancing age. Think I'll cook up some shrimp now, there is plenty in the freezer. 68.9°(F), 50% - nice wx.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I love the pet portraits!

Getting the house cleaning pretty well under control here. The dusting is done. Almost all of the floors are mopped. DH said he'd vacuum the carpets but there's no sense doing that until the last day.

The worst month here is probably August, but none of them are too bad, as long as the air conditioner works.

Updated: 1:51 PM PST on November 14, 2006
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
74 °F / 23 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 46%
Dew Point: 52 °F / 11 °C
Wind: 4 mph / 6 km/h Variable

This will probably be the last waterlily of the year.

This message was edited Nov 14, 2006 2:08 PM

Thumbnail by Kelli
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Beautiful lily. thanks

(Zone 5a)

Dyson - you're always making something scrumptious :-) George Michael was the lead singer of an eighties band from the UK called Wham! then later (1987) he became a solo artist. As a teenager I adored Wham! and later GM so it was quite an experience to see him live at last! He hasn't toured in 15 years and probably won't again so it was a once in a lifetime thing to catch that concert I think.

Kelli - what a gorgeous waterlily!

It's still very dark - the temp at 6 am was 21°F!!! Not sure what it is now - my thermometer says 28. Light wind and clear skies. It's going to be a cold one and tomorrow's supposed to be even colder :-( I need to get my plants covered up today ...... Sunrise today will be at 9:56 and sunset will be at 4:28.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

44.6°(F), 70% - Dark

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning All! It's 39* & gonna do some raining! They are calling for flash flooding this afternoon. But for the moment it's....Dark :-D

Rannveig that some pretty berries...
Kelli, Love that water lily!

Well, gotta get ready for school...Have a great day!

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Good Morning!
Sidney - Good Luck! Keeping you in my prayers! Let us know.
Melody - love the pets portraits - precious poses!
Rann - love the berry pic - great contrast
Kelli - I have got to buy some water liles next year - they're so beautiful!
The storms will be moving through here tonight. Calling for possible tornados. 80% chance of thunderstorms this evening. High today is 81 (yuck)..oh and it's still dark here!
Fog And Mist
Temp: 58°F
Humidity: 84%
Wind Speed: SW 3 MPH
Barometer: 29.87 in.
Dewpoint: 53°F
Heat Index: 58°F
Wind Chill: 58°F
Sunrise: 6:51 AM EST
Sunset: 5:29 PM EST
Butterfly pic taken yesterday (Gulf Fritillary).

Thumbnail by MySharona
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Kelli, I love water lilies. What a beautiful pastel detail!

Joey! What a picture! I feel like I'm standing there. You should make and Indian tree out of a sappling.

Sharon, It's nice to see someone still has butterflies. It's a beauty!

Sugar, have a very nice day!

It's barely 40* with a roaring high wind and mist. We has a chance for rain early, but I didn't expect us to get any. Not much moisture in the atmosphere.

Except for the deep red Husker Red Penstemon that I didn't snap a picture of, this is the only color I have left in the flower beds. Johnson Blue Geranium.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Love the butterfly! We've still got a few sulfurs floating around on warm days, but today, nothing is flying...it's pouring. Heavy rains all day and conditions are ripe for tornadoes. Flash flooding and road washouts are possible...yuck!

It's 53 at the moment and shouldn't vary much more than a degree or two all day...so folks...this is as good as it gets in west KY today.

I'm painting the animals on my 'cave panel' guess that will have to occupy me....otherwise, I'll have to clean house...and that's no fun.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It's a beautiful - but windy! - day here in Houston. There is a wind advisory and a red flag warning because as this cold front moves through the relative humidity is going to drop to 25% (practically unheard of here!) and the wind is blowing at about 26mph and gusting up to 40, so fires are a real threat. I'm sure my little red Geo isn't going to appreciate the high winds either when I have to run errands this afternoon! Personally, I like wind and would love to be out walking in it, but it would probably blow my bunnies away, so I guess I won't try. LOL

Melody and Sharon, please keep safe and watch for those tornadoes!!

Current conditions:
Fair and Windy 67°F (19°C)
Humidity: 31 %
Wind Speed: NW 26 G 38 MPH
Barometer: 29.70" (1006.1 mb)
Dewpoint: 35°F (2°C)
Visibility: 10.00 mi.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Sharona: Thanks for the great butterfly pic. i have bunches of the little yellow ones at the moment but haven't had any luck asking them to pose for a photo! They're just all over a big bed of red impatiens in my back garden that just refuse to believe it's autumn! I love that about them!

I've missed a couple of days due to (yeck) work, but 'envjoyed' all the photos. ;>
Joey: Love that lil' white tail on that deer. I can appreciate deer since we don't have them around my house anywhere. I have ducks that eat my plants, but no deer.

Rann: Love the G. Michael shot! I bet you had a blast! Imagine - jetting off to Copenhagen for a concert. :)

Lovely day here, mid 70s and just gone overcast.

(Zone 5a)

Looks like a lot of you are getting quite a bit of rain today - sure hope there won't be any flooding or tornadoes.

It's freeeeeeezing up here - temp's down to 19 and dropping .... I just got back in after wrapping in my most tender roses and my fingers and toes are numb from the cold ...... can't wait for it to warm up again. This is too cold for my taste ..... and there's no snow to keep my precious plants snug and cozy :-( Oh and to top it off it's a bit windy - and dark!

Deb - thanks - yeah it was a blast! Now I'm smiling again :-)

This message was edited Nov 15, 2006 6:47 PM

Billy - I love that geranium - so different from the ones we have! Would love to see a "husker", please post a pic!
Melody - cave panel? I guess your getting it now and then there's another band. Hope all is well. Please stay safe.
Deb -- We still have the yellows! They're so pretty. I sit in one spot on the porch with my camera (most of the time) and the butterflies just flutter around! I snap as many as I can. I tried to get this one shot about a month ago. I was sitting on the porch and about 20 butterflies came through. I had the camera turned off, just kicking myself, one landed on my foot, I missed the shot, but that pic will stay in my mind forever!
Rann - trying to send some warmth your way. Still envious about George...!! Keep smiling~~
Well, I've pulled in the plants that can't take much water and put the rest in a protected area.

"Tonight...Increasing cloudiness with scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms in the evening...Then showers and thunderstorms after midnight. Some thunderstorms May be severe after midnight with damaging winds."

I want rain, but not like this!!! I know this pic is fuzzy. There are 4 cities listed on the east coast of Florida. If you can make out Daytona Beach then move north to Jacksonville, we're about 25 miles northeast of Jax.(remember I'm on a little island)! Won't be here until after midnight, but it's a tad blustery outside now.
Sharon

Thumbnail by MySharona
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Rann, I'd love to send you some heat in exchange for some rain.

Sometimes we have spring, summer, and fall all at the same time.

Updated: 2:51 PM PST on November 15, 2006
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
84 °F / 29 °C
Clear
Humidity: 13%
Dew Point: 28 °F / -2 °C
Wind: 7 mph / 11 km/h from the North

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli - your paperwhites are so pretty, mine haven't bloomed yet. The sunset tonight...

Thumbnail by MySharona
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good evening All! It's 53* & you guessed it ~ Dark! It has rained (mostly light) all day, but the wind has been really bad. We are scheduled to go to the experimental raceway tomorrow with all those baby fish...we're taking 10,000 instead fo 3,000 ! It will take an hour to prepare for the trip. We'll have to disinfect everything, weigh babies, & set 02 (oxygen) levels. That's a lot of Fish! My Professor has volunteered me to take pix. The guy from WVU is bringing a big tanker (for fishies).
I hope to finish up my practicum by next Tuesday (at the latest).
Deb, there are lots of deer (visible) at this time of year. I have seen just as many dead (along the road) as I have seen running in the fields. The guy at the hatchery had to "fish" one out of a pond Sunday (arrow in tact). They are very pretty, but very plentiful, which can pose problems (only because there are too many of Us! ;)
Sally! What is an Indian tree? Please fill me in!
Sharon! What a beautiful BF! And a great shot to boot! Love your Night Skies!
Melody, Sharon, Marylyn, & Rannveig! Stay safe & warm!!! I do believe that winter is upon us! Our highs for Monday & Tuesday are supposed to be in the 30's.....Snow! predicted for Sunday! (sorry Darius! I know that's a bad word for you!)
Kelli, Love the Daffodil(sp) ! Alas, mine doesn't get enough sun & will have to move them next year. :(

Well, gotta go study some Biology...Big test on Friday!

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
(Zone 5a)

Just to make things "better" the winds are blowing at around 34 mph now with gusts up to 40 mph, as if 20F temps weren't bad enough on their own.

Sharon - that looks like a pretty nasty system moving in on the east coast .... seems to be bad weather all around tonight. Hope it won't be too bad though. And thanks - I've hardly been able to wipe the grin from my face since I got back - I'll just have to think GM and I'm smiling again - despite the horrible cold. I bet Kiska would be laughing at my whining if she weren't soaking up the sun in Cancun - probably wouldn't seem much to her :-) lol

Joey - hope all goes well tomorrow - sounds like you have a busy day tomorrow :-)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

We're having those same winds (well, similar ones, anyway!), rann. I'm very thankful I didn't have to deal with your wind chill temps while we were out in it! I should have taken the camera with me when I was out and about earlier today. Since I live in town (and in a BIG town at that!) I don't get pretty scenery like you all do. The winds were pretty impressive, though. The backyard is going to be full of pecan branches tomorrow morning! The squirrels will be busy back there with all of the nuts that fell, too, I'm sure. :-)

It's going to get down to 42° tonight, so we actually turned the heater on for the first time this year. Maybe winter is coming after all.. :-)

Marylyn - what area do you live in? I can't remember...
Rann- that God we don't have the cold you have with the winds we're going to get...
Sidney - be gald you aren't here.
We'll be in the low 60's tonight, but our high tomorrow is in the 60's...speaks for itself!!!!!!! LOL
Here's the latest from the wire:

First Coast Under A Tornado Watch Until 3 AM
JACKSONVILLE, FL -- A vigorous squall line, which has caused severe weather through the Florida Panhandle and southern Gulf states, is moving eastward.
All counties in north Florida except Putnam are under a tornado watch until 3 am. The entire southern Georgia area is also grouped in this watch. The watch means there is the potential for twisters and winds over 60 mph. If we see any bad weather, it will be from southeast Georgia down to Baker county by 10 to 11 tonight and into Jacksonville after midnight. Lake City and Gainesville are more likely to see the stronger storms this evening.
It precedes a cold front which will bring cooler temperatures Thursday and into the weekend.
Most of the First Coast will get rain after midnight.
Storms will move in from the west and will show up first west of I-75 and Highway 221 and 441 in southeast Georgia around 10 or 11 tonight.
Jacksonville can expect rain between 1 a.m. and 8 am.
Individual thunderstorms will race north and northeast at 50 miles-per-hour.
There will be a risk for tornadoes and winds over 60 m.p.h. during the late night hours.
Everyone should get at least a half-inch of rain once the system passes. (LOL - sounds like much more than that to me...the bunny rainmeter is ready and waiting!!!)
Rain will linger early Thursday morning.
Another weird sun day today! Is there a full moon this week?????

Thumbnail by MySharona
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm in Houston, Texas - the 4th most populous city in the country. We're actually bigger in square miles than any of the first three, including New York City - just not nearly as densely populated. There are very few zoning laws here, so residential areas are mixed with commercial and industrial in a way that would make a lot of city planners faint. LOL You'll be driving through a perfectly normal looking subdivision and upon turning the corner will find yourself face-to-face with a skyscraper or six. Or a warehouse. Or both. Right next to a field with horses. LOL

Marylyn - LOL - which area of Houston - me? Bellaire (Newcastle Dr) - the house I grew up in was just torn down and a mansion is being built on it....

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh.. LOL I'm in Spring Branch. North of I-10, south of 290, outside the Loop (610), inside the Beltway (8). :-)

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Now raining and 55 degrees. And dark. Seems like it has been raining in this area for a looong time. I am finally getting housework done that I 'put off' during the summer. And my DH is getting time to sit and play his banjo. What a nice accompaniment to my life. during the summer he is cruisin' on his motorcycle, and during the winter he works outside until he's chilled, and spends the rest of the time strumming.

I am tired of working outside, and ready for a winter rest. Come the first days of January and I will be counting the days until I can start all over again. We are scheduled for strong thunderstorms tomorrow and over an inch of rain - again.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

61.7°(F), 91%, Dark & Raining, no heavy winds here yet though.

(Zone 5a)

Good morning all - it's coooooooold (said in a shivering voice) and very blustery - not a good combination at all. Marylin - It's never warm enough here for the wind to have a nice cooling effect - It's just cold so I really hate windy weather. In warmer temps I'm sure it can be quite nice ;-)

Sharon - thank god the winds aren't as bad as that here with this cold! It's too cold to be outside as it is. Those winds are just wickedly cold. Sure hope the storm's not too severe down there in your area.

Last night windspeeds reached 45 mph with gusts up to 60 mph (guess that's close to what you've had Sharon - a good thing we were sleeping :-)), but now it's down to 36 mph with gusts up to 50 mph, from the north. Current temps about 23F and cloudy. It's light outside, the sun will be up in a few minutes. Sunrise will be at 10:00 and sunset at 4:25.

Good Morning! Well, the winds didn't get as bad as expected, they're saying around 30mph, pretty typical for us. It's still raining and has been since around 9:30 last night. Our high right now is 76 and the actual "high today is 71" (that always cracks me up) :)
Se_eds - I've never known anyone who could play a banjo! My DH plays the trumpet (use "play" lightly)! I play the piano.
Rann - I just can't imagine living in the kind of cold as you. I like coolish weather, but below 45 is cold to me. We don't get to use our winter gear very much, so they last forever.
Mostly Cloudy
Temp: 76°F
Humidity: 77%
Wind Speed: S 13 MPH
Barometer: 29.71 in.
Dewpoint: 68°F
Heat Index: 77°F
Wind Chill: 76°F
Sunrise: 6:52 AM EST
Sunset: 5:28 PM EST
Prissy did not enjoy her bath last night!

Thumbnail by MySharona

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.