Vine Suggestions Wanted for Zone 5b

Northern, IN

I love the look of the Scarlet Trumpet Vine - beautiful red blooms and a Hummingbird attractor, but it's not hardy to zone 5b.

The spot I have for it is on an east fence line so there would be no morning sun but it would get light from about 10 AM to 4 PM. Is there anything close to the STV that might work for me?

Thanks.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

PF says that Campsis radicans is hardy to zone 4...it can tend to be sort of a thug though so I'm not sure if you want it or not, but it has a similar look to scarlet trumpet vine (by which I mean Distictis buccinatoria...not sure if that's what you mean by scarlet trumpet vine or not).
http://davesgarden.com/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=campsis&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=radicans&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search
There's also Bignonia capreolata, PF has one of these listed as being hardy to 5b but most of the others are only listed as hardy to 6b or so, so you might want to doublecheck its hardinesss before you buy it. It looks a lot like Campsis but is less of a pest (I think).
http://davesgarden.com/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=bignonia&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=capreolata&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

Those are the ones I can think of that have red trumpet like flowers, if you're willing to consider other flower shapes there are many nice Clematis that would grow in your area, as well as several Lonicera's (some of these tend towards being invasive too so make sure to do your homework).

I don't know enough about Distictis to know if this is a good idea or not, but could you grow it (or some other suitable tropical looking vine) as an annual? Many of the tropical/semi-tropical perennial vines grow fast enough that people in colder climates can grow them as annuals so you might look into that as a possibility too.

Northern, IN

Thanks a lot !

Campsis radicans looks fine to me. The Dropmore Scarlet and Gold Flame honeysuckles I have both need to twine. Do you know of this will "attach" itself to a cedar fence?

The STV I envy is here: http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/6202/

Thanks,
Dave

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I would definitely research Campsis before you buy it--I've seen posts from people complaining about how it's taken over everything. They may have been in warmer climates than you, but I just want to make sure you know what you're getting into! I don't think it will attach itself to a cedar fence--it'll grow around chain link just fine but may need a little help at first to stay on the wood. I can't think of too many flowering vines that will stick directly to flat surfaces...only things I can think of that do that are things like ivy and VA creeper.

Northern, IN

I tried - and failed with the STV- as a long shot - since it was such a prize for hummers.

However, it did stick securely to the flat cedar fence surface before the winter temps killed everything but the root ball.

I could build something for the Campsis to climb but would rather not have to. Invasiveness I can handle and live with.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh too bad about the Distictis buccinatoria. If the root ball lived, didn't it come back the next spring? It is an aggressive grower and I would think if the rootball lives each year after a few you would have a sizable vine every summer. Though I am trying to think when its main flowering occurs. Unlike my Distictis 'Rivers,' Distictis buccinatoria seems to flower heavily in one big flush with not so many here and there after. The Distictis 'Rivers' is my favorite vine. It blooms here right up till Christmas. http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/51743/index.html But sadly, it is even less hardy.

Liz sure seems to known her vines, Dave. I think she has covered all the bases. I did plant a Campsis radicans one year. My neighbor had a fit. And I was glad he did for when I went to pull it, it had already sent out runners the length of the entire fence and was rooting all along it. I couldn't believe it. There are some varieties out now, Dave that I have read are not as aggressive.

I prefer the look of the Bignonia capreolata vines. Though the flowers are smaller than the Distictis buccinatoria, there are plenty of them. I have never grown it, but have seen some good lookers.

Sorry I am not much help. I do not know how you guys garden where it gets so cold. You do great.

Northern, IN

It's "come back" the past two springs but all the energy seems to go into growing new foliage and nary a bud much less a bloom. I guess I should wait a while in '07 before I dig it up (throw in the towel). Certainly I do feel that the root ball has gotten bigger and better but at my age, I'm impatient.

Thanks, Kell, for underscoring ecrane3's warning.

I brashly said I can handle "invasiveness" but what you described is a degree I've never encountered nor ever want to. So I'm sorry, ecrane3, that I "trivialized" your warning. I frankly didn't know the top credentials you obviously have until Kell just posted.

I'm just an ole codger who loves hummers and is eager for a prime wildlife garden spot to fill in. So, if I may, let me ask both of you this question - what might you consider doing if '07 results in nothing but more foliage? A brand new direction, maybe?

Warm thanks Both,
Dave

Northern, IN

By "coming back", I mean it grows the full 8 feet I have for it to cling to.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I hear you, Dave. I am at the age when I happily pay for time and think when I do what a deal I got. LOL. If you are not getting flowers, dump it. If it were me I would try a cross vine. I know I have seen great threads on them, do a search and find the variety you like and see if it can tolerate teh lower temps. I know Ada had sent me a picture of one last year she was hoping I could find for her. For some reason not many are sold here that I see. I know some have bigger flowers than others. Maybe some growers of it will post here for you with pictures.

You must admit, nothing wrong with this sight. LOL
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/57628/

Or................. MOVE to here and you can have all those vines flourish!!

Northern, IN

I'll need cab fare.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL. You would LOVE it!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

No need to apologize about my warning--I wasn't speaking from personal experience on this one but from what I've heard from other people (most of whom live in warmer zones than you), so was just encouraging you to do some homework!

The crossvine that Kell mentions is the same as the Bignonia that I mentioned earlier--I'm not really sure of the hardiness for them, Plant Files had one cultivar listed as surviving in zone 5b, but the other cultivars of the same species were listed as zone 6 or I think in one case zone 7, so I'm not sure if all the entries are correct or not. Here's the one that PF says is hardy to 5b:
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/133057/index.html And I looked them up at LazyS Farms since they sell a couple different kinds, and they also have one that's listed as hardy to zone 5 (although it's one that PF says is zone 6).
http://www.lazyssfarm.com/Plants/Vines/vines.htm So I think they've got a chance of surviving for you especially if you can get them a little bit of protection--I would definitely give it a try! They have the look you're going for without the negatives of Campsis.

Northern, IN

Thanks ecrane3,

I'll be checking the links. I appreciate this work you did on my behalf.

Obviously, I needed your help. When/if I get that "look" I'll make a post.

Dave

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Hummers do like Trumpet Vine, campsis...

Thumbnail by jmorth
Northern, IN

I agree! When are you expecting your first '07 bloom?

It will be interesting to see what I wind up with after I’ve done all my “homework”.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.