How far to cut back sundews??

Graham, NC(Zone 8a)

Hi Ya'll :)

Long time no see!! Sorry I haven't been around in a while. Just had a lot of issues going on. But anyway...I'm bacckkk....lol I'm in the process of repotting my sundews and I have a question. Most of my tropical sundews have lost their luster and are turning brown. How far back can I trim them before repotting? I've got Cape sundews, Rountifloras and Intermedias. They're getting plenty of sunlight and supplemental lighting. Thanks for any and all help:)

Eric

Hey Eric,
Welcome back.

It sounds as if your Drosera capensis needs to be repotted which you are already doing. I've not had them go brown on me so I'd probably just repot them and see what happens. It can't hurt to remove dead leaves.

Drosera rotundifolia and Drosera intemedia are not tropical, they're temperate. Ok to repot them but these two species need a winter dormancy period just like Drosera linearis. All have a northern distribution and can withstand freezing temps because they form hibernacula while snow further insulates them. I'm in zone 5 and mine are grown outside year round. I don't know the source of yours so perhaps it might be best to consider tossing them in the garage while cutting back on the water.

Graham, NC(Zone 8a)

Thanks, "E"

I'll try that. I really appreciate the help :)

Eric

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.