Too late in the year?

Parkersburg, WV(Zone 6b)

A local nursery has all their plant material on clearance at 50% off. I'm tempted to buy a large (2 or 3 gal container) Endless Summer. Since it's potted in a horrible plastic pot, I'm asssuming I'd have to remove it from the pot and plant it now. Do you more experienced gardeners think it's too late to plant it this fall? If it is OK to plant it now, are there any recommendations you have to ensure the hydrangeas healthy survival? Or is there some way to winter it over in the pot, if planting isn't recommended now?

I have two hydrangeas I just got in the ground last week, but they are in large nursery peat pots and I didn't remove them from the peat pots (so their roots weren't disturbed), Next spring, once the ground warms up, I'll plant them in their permanent location, but for now I just needed to get them in the ground. However, since the Endless Summer hydrangea is in one of those plastic pots, I'm assuming I'll need to remove the pot and I wonder if the plant would survive being disturbed this late in the season....

Any suggestions/experience shared welcome! I'd hate to pay over $25 for a hydrangea that won't make it through the winter.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

A bunch of us seemed to be planting in November last year and I had complete success and I'm just zone 7. I'd remove it from the pot and loosen the roots - I'd guess it's potbound by now. Plant it in lots of good soil with loads of compost and water well but I wouldn't mulch until you get a good frost. I'd water a few times!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.