Soferdig Can you identify this parasitic worm?

Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

Edenawaitsme found a disgusting worm in a mouse -- pretty vile looking; hoping someone could ID it.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/668333/

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

You have just experienced what I look at often in animals. That is a cutarebra fly larvae. They are a larvae that actually turns into a small fly that is common in our world. Cattle, Cats, and humans often get these worms. None are contageous to each other so you don't have to worry. Cute isn't it. You can see them under the skin moving around before they emerge.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

The mommies are almost as cute! http://bugguide.net/node/view/53512

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I think the larvae tastes better than the fly. More protein. LOL

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Yuk! I wish I hadn't looked at that before breakfast.

Karen

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

My DH & I both knew we had seen lots of them as children when there weren't the pesticides for cattle, etc. and in rabbits. As a child I had pet domestic rabbits and they sometime got them too. I lost several several as a result of them. As the youngest person with the least to do at chore time it was my task to remove them from the cow's backs each night at milking time. I don't remember what if anything was put into the open wound that was left. Maybe purple gentian? to dry it up and make it less attractive to more flies.

So while the EPA, etc. are screaming against all pesticide usage, remember that this kind of parasite was very common before the days of common useage of pesticides. I use a fly trap with an attractant + water in jars with one way openings in the lids that catch flies by the thousands every summer. Most of the flies die in the trap and the ones still alive when it needs to be emptied and refilled are killed with insecticide spray. I then dig a hole and bury it all. I probably spend about $20 a season on the attractant starting as soon as it gets warm in the spring and we start seeing flies and ending with a good hard frost in the fall. Then I clean the traps and save them for the next year. One takes care of most of a 1/4 acre. Around the bird house and yard is where we catch the most flies. I really recommend this method of fly control. Sticky strips are good too except in the bird house where they end up covered with more dust and feathers than flies.

This message was edited Nov 8, 2006 8:51 AM

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

I don't hear the EPA screaming against all pesticide usage- I hear the soft laughter of lovers walking hand in hand down a primrose path, the chemical industry whispering sweet nothings in the EPA's ear, causing the EPA to blush at all the attention and lavish gifts. But enough imagery...

Those stink baits work great! I've never seen anything quite like it....I've had the 14oz. cups that come with the attractant actually FULL of flies....I think the bait is some kind of mushroom ground up, they really smell bad. The only problem is they can be hard to find; sometimes the HD has 'em, sometimes not

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I always think of all of my farmer friends who no longer exist since they often exposed themselves to insecticides, herbicides, and chemical assists to making their lives easier. I miss many of them and truely hope their shortened lives were easier. Somehow I doubt it.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

I think I am going to be sick. I am amazed that the mouse was able to still move and not just convulse around on the floor.

Totally cool

Bill

Thornton, IL

This was the coolest, sickest thing I have ever seen! Wow. I hope this shows up in a Stephen King novel.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.