Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Was blind...

...but now I see.

'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear...

And grace my fears relieved...

How precious did...

...that grace appear...

The hour I first believed.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Magnificent!!!

Scott

Peoria, IL

VV,

Dang, what a tree! What pictures! Is this one in Cave Hill? Did you take these in the last couple of days? If so, I'm definately getting the calendar marked for 2007 for a visit in early Nov. as this coming weekend is busy. Thanks for sharing this beauty.

Regards,
Ernie

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Wow that is a beauty!

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Did you happen to catch a whiff of it? Mine's a youngster but the autumn leaves smell like burnt sugar. Some say cotton candy....

Beautiful tree....

Thornton, IL

John~Loved the narrative as well, my favorite hymn, and probably my favorite tree. Ah! b'wakawa pouss?, pouss?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

You again bring the purpose of living to the front. The whole concept of grace is unprecedented and the beauty of the item is like the Katsura who breathes the breath of cinnamon and fills the heart with the warmth of its fall colors. It continues to stand out in its gift to anyone who acknowledges it's presence.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

.....Awestruck......and humbled.......

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Gorgeous SP....the one tree I really crave. How old is this one?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

You all know how I feel about hornbeams and maples, but if I could have only one tree, I think I would choose the Katsura.

Scott

The Cercidiphyllum japonicum 'Amazing Grace' is in Cave Hill Cemetery in Louisville; I think it has a partner up at Spring Grove Cemetery in Cincinnati. This condition illustrates the first week of November 2006.

There was a distinct fragrance in the air, walking amongst the just-beginning-to-fall foliage. I don't know exactly what to call it, but there was a spicy fruitiness to it. I was thinking peaches/apricots, maybe as found over cinnamon French toast in front of a crackling fire on a frosty winter weekend morn.

PG:

What? Forgive me, but you lost me.

This tree is 30-40 years old, I think. I'll get back to everyone on that.

Thornton, IL

It's the chorus from John Lennon's " #9 Dream." (I had to look up the spelling, supposedly the words came to him in a dream and have no meaning.) I found the meaning in this tree, and your photographic genius.

Soferdig - I love it when you wax poetic. Another gift I don't possess.

Lots of talent on this forum.

Coldwater, MI(Zone 5b)

Wow! That is a beautiful specimen. Thanks for sharing these photos...

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

You have motivated me to visit the Seattle Arboretum to sit under the Katsura they have and take in the beauty of its scent. I'll bring back a picture later after lunch.

Northern Michigan, MI(Zone 5a)

Love the pics !!! Twisted trunks seem to have so much personality , thankyou for sharing!!

~Julie =0)

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Bummer no leaves on the Katsura.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
Bummer no leaves on the Katsura

I can see at least 43 leaves in that photo! :-)

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

VV great photos of the Katsura. Mine is only 12 years old and lost all its leaves about a week ago. I also have a Cercidiphyllum magnifica pendula, never has been too happy where I planted it. Donna

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Resin your glass is always half full. Good point. I was expecting a bath in cinnamon odor. Just the joy of being in the forest.

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

so so beautiful- you were there at a stunning moment- my choice of trees for a country school property has been simplified.

Pennsauken, NJ(Zone 6b)

Absolutely gorgeous tree. Planted one (Pendula) back in September. It's teeeeenie tiny but I look forward to growing old with this one.

Thanks for posting V.

I really need to get to Cave Hill Cemetery in Louisville....

Pennsauken, NJ(Zone 6b)

V V,

Would you be willing to send me a copy of your photograph in the frame where you quote, "...that grace appear..." ? I'd like to print it, frame it, and put it in my living room.

If so, please Dmail me for my email addy.

Annie

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I would like a copy of all the pictures framed in sterling please. thanks so much.

Thornton, IL

ROFL!

Pennsauken, NJ(Zone 6b)

Wow, that's a first for me at Dave's Garden... Give someone a compliment and get flamed.

Ohhhh kay...

Anyhow...
Here's an image of my teenie Katsura 'Pendula' baby.
It was planted in memory of my cousin's son who was killed on September 6th.

I wanted the picture because A) it's a beautiful photograph and B) to show my cousin what the tree would look like in maturity

Thanks so much for your wonderful joke Levilyla. It made me feel 'oh so wonderful' for making a simple request here at DG.
Hope you have a wonderful weekend. Keep up the jokes. They're oh so hysterical.

Thumbnail by AnniesWeePlot
Thornton, IL

Annie - Lighten up, we were ribbing VV not you. That is a beautiful photograph, so he was just asking for it! LOL Hope your katsura grows up to be as beautiful. They are my favorite too. Sorry to hear about your cousin. ((hugs))

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sorry if I offended you...it was meant as a joke for SP and he can accept my kidding. (at least I hope). I am terribly sorry for your loss and hope that your tree gows to be as beautiful as this one .....

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Incredible tree. Do any smaller cultivars exist that retain all the great attributes, including the shape and scent? Probably asking for too much, I'm sure.

Victor

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Victor~~
I have ordered one named 'Pendula' that is supposed to be quite a bit smaller, but every bit as elegant, and fragrant -- we shall see.....I found mine at Greer Gardens, I'm sure it can be found at others, here is a link where you can read a bit about it.....and several other Katsuras, it's down quite a ways on this page.

http://www.greergardens.com/TREES%20%26%20SHRUBS_A-C.htm

They are such great trees I really wanted one, but with a smaller garden I was also looking for the presence and fragrance without it swallowing my whole lot.....I hope C. j. 'Pendula' is it... :-) 'Red Fox' sounds promising as well....
Hope this helps!
Jamie

This message was edited Nov 18, 2006 3:11 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.