Cone Flower Seeds when/how?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I have a chance to get some purple cone flower seeds I found poppy-sues pics so I know what to look for. But as I have never gotten seeds anywhere but the store can you tell me when to remove them and what to do next.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

The purple petals will turn brown and fall off leaving just the center cone. I like to wait until the white seeds attached to the cone will come off easily to make sure they're ready. If you have to pry them from the cone it's too soon and they're not ripe yet.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Thanks poppysue. After colleting them then do I just put them in an envelope till spring. Or in the fridge. I hope to have some things to trade some day with everyones help.

So let me understand. The dark spiky part is trash, but the white cone shape piece under that is the seed? I looked at the pictures from the link poppy sue had and this looks right to me. Just need someone to reasure me here.

Old rose, I store everything in paper envelopes in a closet with no problems.

Dk

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Yes dK the white cone shape is the seed. The rest is chaff (or trash). It doesn't hurt to plant the chaff along with the seeds.... but you need the seeds to get plants. I say this because I've received just chaff in a trade before.

old_Rose there's been a number of threads about seed storage and the different methods everyone uses. I keep mine in paper envelopes, filed in a box, with lettered cards to keep them organized. Keeping them in the fridge is good but make sure they are dry, and keep them in an air-tight container.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.