How do you conserve electrcity?

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

The power crisis in California may spill over into many of the other western states and British Columbia since we are all on an interconnected power grid. So I have been wondering how everyone conserves power, or do you just use it like there will never be a problem, assuming that you can afford to pay for it? I turn off unused lights, wash clothes in almost cold water, take short showers, things like that. What do you do? I know a man who installed a wind generator last year. He expects it to pay for itself in less than 10 years, it was a $28,000 investment. When he is using less power than he is producing the excess goes into the power grid, and by state law the power company has to buy it from him. He gets a big kick out of watching the meter run backwards because that means the electric company is paying him!

This thread has 25 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!