I'm having a bad time of it, here....

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

So, I moved to this small town in Tennessee at the end of September. We moved here at least partially because land is a lot less expensive and I wanted pasture for Hank and hoped to add a couple more horses.

Hank was scheduled to be picked up by a shipper on Oct. 8th or 9th. I found this guy through u-ship, he came in at about the average price and had a reputation for being slow, but very careful with horses. Sounded good to me.

Now it's ... what, the 5th of November? I know the hauler had trouble with one of the trucks - which I found out only after calling both the "office" (his wife) phone and the cell phone number repeatedly. Now I can't get a hold of them again for a rescheduled date. It's really driving me nutso. The woman who has reserved a stall for Hank must be going nuts, too - it's to the point where I'm going to need to offer her some kind of compensation for not filling the stall with another boarder.

And here I sit, through a beautiful fall with no horse - and I miss riding an awful lot. More than that, I miss Hank. I just got back from 4 days in Phoenix, it was great to see him, but I really didn't have a chance to spend much time with him.

I was reading a book on the plane back - "Horse People" by Michael Korda. He describes horses as being pretty content to be wherever they land, as long as they were safe and fed. His contention is that they change "herds" easily and don't pine for people or really care one way or the other. I started wondering if I'm making myself crazy for no good reason..... the $950 to get him out here is hardly chump change in my eyes. Nor would the $250/mo to have him stabled this winter be cheap.... for all of this, I could easily get another horse - especially if it really were of no consequence to him. I see people just buying and selling horses like they were bicycles and never thought I'd consider it, but ....? Am I anthropomorphizing way too much to suspect that he misses me too? Should I just chalk this up and move on to the next horse?

This thread has 9 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!