I found a safe way to string lights up into my trees!

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

With the demise of Daylight Savings Time I decided to string some white lights up into my maple trees. I put up an extension ladder but it was kind of wobbly plus I am not as comfortable climbing up into the trees as in past years. So I had this idea and it worked:

I cut both ends out of an empty 3-pound coffee can. I unrolled a long lenght of sisal twine and tied one end through the can. I hurled the can over a branch, then tied the loose end to the receptacle end of a light string and hauled it up over the branch with the twine. Then I took the coffe can and hurled it out over another branch and advanced the light string forward to follow the sisal. As the plug end of the string advanced I added another string. In this way I was able to drape lights far out onto my tree limbs without ever climbing, even spanning lines from tree to tree. The cutout coffee can had little wind resistance, being open on both sides and was heavy enough to reliably come down again dragging the sisal behind, but light enough for me to hurl repeatedly.

A few times of course the sisal snagged and the can swung back toward me but I wore safety glasses and the can wasn't heavy enough to hurt me if it struck me. Theoretically the line could stick in the tree and have to be cut but I used a biodegradable product.

This method could also be used to hang other garden ornaments way up high without risking a fall.

This thread has 9 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!