How long does broccoli last?

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

I'm preparing my beds for winter, and for planting fall garlic. But although the frosts and then the hard freezes killed everything else, my broccoli is still alive. It's lost some leaves, and it's obviously frost-touched, but it's alive, and I think it's still *growing*!

Could I actually still get broccoli heads this year? I don't see any now, but could they still form?

Should I mulch it with fallen leaves or something? I really didn't expect anything to last into November, except maybe for some hardy weeds.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

My broccoli handles temps down to about 20 degrees F. Depends somewhat on hours of cold, It usually goes when the ground freezes.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

My broccoli is still hanging in there. But in a couple days the temperature will get down to 21. It'll have to be really hardy to withstand that.

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Are you harvesting any? It should be getting sweeter with the frost.

Dayton, WA

One year I planted broccoli in the early Fall and it overwintered just fine out here in the wilds of Washington State. We had our usual bouts of freezing weather then, and I got numerous small heads of broccoli in the Spring.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

The broccoli is still there! And the largest plant is forming a head!

I may have broccoli for Christmas dinner.

Hooray!

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

I had fresh broccoli tonight. Mine is just beginning to form heads. I have been know to cut it before it got to head stage. I also have cabbage just about big enough to eat. Whoowee, I just love the fresh broccoli. Have turnips, and spinich, kale too.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

My broccoli has been in side shoot stage for several weeks. Due to cooler weather than normal I have not gotten a large number of side shoots.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

The Thanksgiving broccoli

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

I have two plants forming heads! But by this time next week we're going to have extended lows of below freezing weather for two or three days in a row. I don't know if they'll survive that. And they're too big to put a garden cloche on. :-(

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I should have one more small harvest of side shoots ready this week. Enough for one big serving. It's the sweetest after a frost.
Once it gets too cold it will get soft even though it looks OK.
Andy P

WH, can you harvest one and put a pillow case over the other to offer some frost protestion?

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

Right now both heads are only about the size of a quarter, but I have thought about putting something over them for the couple days it's going to be really cold. I wonder if a white garbage bag would do? But I'll see if I can find a pillowcase for them. After all this, I'd hate to lose them.

I think a pillow case might offer more frost protection. The fabric will have more insulation than the thin plastic garden bag. Plus the cloth will breathe with the plant. The plastic won't. The fleece frost blankets I have seen are thicker versions of the floating row covers and had a weight similar to a linen sheet or pillow case.
Do keep us posted!

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

White Hydrangea, How long does broccoli last? Not very long at my house, especially if you put Hollendaise on it. LOL, We love it. Glad yours is doing so well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.