Didn't know it was possible to root leaves

Ocean Springs, MS

Look at this! When I visited my in-laws in Arkansas this summer, a neighbor of theirs gave me some "Sawtooth Blue" hydrangea cuttings (that's the name she called them; the flowers were blue with a neon pink edge). I tried rooting the cuttings in water, but they didn't make it. I was able to save one leaf, so I decided to try rooting the leaf. I put it in a peat pellet, put it inside a ziplock bag, and this morning I checked it. Look! It has roots! Has anyone else done this before? Thanks, julie

Thumbnail by froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

Here's another picture showing the roots.

Thumbnail by froggies_girl
Parkersburg, WV(Zone 6b)

No, I haven't heard of rooting a leaf...but it sure enough looks like you managed it! Congratulations! I've never tried taking cuttings of hydrangeas, but I've been reading up on it. Supposedly they are easier to propagate than many plants. I've got three hydrangeas--a Leuchtfeuer, a Brestenburg, and a Nikko blue. I'm considering getting an Endless Summer (they are on sale for half price right now at one of the local nurseries). I'd like to propagate all of them....

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

WOW , I am impressed ! Congrats ! You will have me doing it now. Wonder how long it will take a leaf to grow into a blooming plant?????

Ocean Springs, MS

I don't know how long it will take, if you saw the color of that hydrangea, you'd be willing to wait. love, julie

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Kevan.. I have 4 endless summers and they are wonderful!!! They are still blooming. I am trying to root cuttings now. They are truly endless as they have bloomed constantly since I bought them in June.

that is cool! I had no idea!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I had no idea it was possible either.

With new plants, since the branches are so close to the ground, I seem to be doing more layering to get more plants to share with nice people.

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

Congratulations!

Didn't know it could be done and it sure opens up "mass production on next to nothing"--plant up those trimmed leaves off stem cuttings.

Thanks.

Ocean Springs, MS

Unfortunately, I lost the rooted leaf from neglect. I was so busy with my graduate studies that I forgot to water it. I'll have to call my mother-in-law and have her get me some cuttings of it. thanks, julie

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

Did it ever put up a shoot?

R.

Ocean Springs, MS

It never put up a shoot, it just formed roots.

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

I have had great success with cuttings stuck into the soil in my open coldframe. I do it during the growing season. It generally takes a year to get them well rooted and ready to be transplanted.

What ever happened with your hydrangea ?

Ocean Springs, MS

Unfortunately it didn't survive. I started school and negelected to water it. : (
love, julie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.