Visiting Manlius, Ithaca, Endicott,Albany-interesting places

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm heading to NY in December to visit family and friends, especially my wonderful 96 yo aunt, Veronica. I grew up in the Endicott area, but I abandoned ship for the winding roads of somewhere, anywhere, other than "home" about three decades ago. The usual first line when I call anyone from old is, "Where are you?" and old friends joke about the special line of address books that was created to keep track of my moves. lol (I'm not so mobile now, but reputations die hard...lol)

This visit will be hectic - only six days (usually I stay a couple of weeks and get everyone really tired of me!), and I've got it booked up with seeing folks (please, no ice storms). Can anyone suggest some interesting places in these areas to visit while I'm there? I'm not a mainstream-type shopper. Thrift stores? Spa? Good restaurants? It would be fun to surprise old friends with something they don't know about.

BTW, if the weather turns particularly "different" between December 6 and 12, you can blame me. Something is always different when I show up. Maybe this time it will be sunshine and loveliness instead of the storms and drama! lol

Thank you!

Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

Welcome home. You may have managed to relocate to the only state with higher taxes than "I Love NY". The Owego River Row area is interesting if you haven't been back here since it was restored. Antique and unique shops and restaurants. Maybe get a spiedie at Lupos. Have fun!

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks, kikisdad. Apalachin certainly changed lots - Hogg's Dairy there used to be the best place to get black raspberry ice cream on a Sunday drive, back when a Sunday drive was affordable and we didn't know what it was doing to the planet. :-)

Lupos no doubt!

I've been to Owego since the renovation a number of times. In fact, when I was making soups and seasoning mixes in the last century, one of the shops sold them.

I graduated from OFA a while ago.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.